heat recovery unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a ventilation unit like a ventaxia heat recovery unit in a basement conversion. Any suggestions for the easiest unit to retro fit and wire up/ vent to the outside. Was initially recommended the Ventaxia HR100RS but his seems to small for a 5m x 4m x 2.1m room?

Sponsored Links
I have never been impressed by the inside of these.

They say they recover about 65% of the heat but I really wonder if that would be backed up by independent tests. The heat exchangers seem very small and inefficient.

Tony

theres a kraut one on the market, i will post its details later, brochure in van!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
vaillant do one(recovair), dunno what its like though, looks impressive.
95% recovery,so it says

The water treatment things say they remove 100% of the lime scale from water!

But we all know they remove nothing!

Tony

I have a whole house heat recovery for my house made by Villavent. It's very good, waste heat is recovered from bathrooms and kitchens and in the winter it is returned to other rooms via a heat exchanger.

I fitted it to avoid fans in every WC etc and have the quietness of a central fan plant.

A solo one will still transfer noise into the room but in a potentially damp cellar changing the air often sounds like an excellent idea, especially if you recover wasted heat.

When I looked at the whole house systems four years back the large Vent Axia plant looked a bit flimsy. I haven't kept up to speed with the one room solutions.

My house has a lower floor in which the humidity can build up if the windows are not opened regularly, so when I was impressed when I first read about these units, they seemed to be the answer to a maidens prayer where removal of odours and potential condensation are concerned.
Especially as a simple core drill manoeuvre and a bit of lecy was all that was needed when fitting them.

But, I then read an article in one of the trade papers that said these stand alone units are not powerful enough to over come the force of the wind when it is blowing against the wall the unit is fitted to. This caused me to be disappointed that some thing that seemed such a good idea might not work in the way it was intended once it was fitted.

Because the bit of the unit that would be on the outside was in a vulnerable position (vandals) and having read the critical article I have not fitted one, however, the wind is unlikely to be blowing in the same direction for all 365 days of the year so there will/could be some gain though how much will be hard to tell.

Have had a look for the paper it was in but cant find it but as it was about three years ago thats hardly supprising.

Please let us know how you get on..

Tim

But, I then read an article in one of the trade papers that said these stand alone units are not powerful enough to over come the force of the wind when it is blowing against the wall the unit is fitted to. This caused me to be disappointed that some thing that seemed such a good idea might not work in the way it was intended once it was fitted.

Tim

Most of the cheap ones seem to have a simple 100 mm combined inlet/outlet so the wind pressure would be balanced on the terminal etself.

However, thats only half the story. In an older house with wood plank floors and ventilation to the underfloor then the wind pressure in the room will be influenced by the direction of the wind in relation to the unferfloor ventilation.

To make these units very cheap and energy efficient they fit very low power fans. No point in having a 100w fan to recover 100w in heat!

Tony

That unit is intended for a whole house, not a room 4mx5m........

That unit is intended for a whole house, not a room 4mx5m........

thank you for taking the time to read my post and checking internet

this unit is installed in a oap day centre extracting from a shower room
2.2mx1.5m
gents toilet 2mx1.5m
ladies toilet 3mx2m

seems to work ok!

ps i didnt install it but was working along side the fella who did

it looked a piece of p**s tbh

thank you for taking the time to read my post and checking internet

When I was fitting one to my house a few years back, I found at least 30 manufacturers making heat recovery systems. Not really surprising as they are mandatory in new build in some European countries.

The unit you have suggested is not intended for a single small space and I felt I should make that clear to the OP. It is like recommending a 100Kw boiler to a man in a semi.

The Xpelair unit recommended above by 'outmyway' is far more suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back