Flue heat recovery unit on a sealed system boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will only have hot water from the combi boiler at one tap/outlet. It will no longer be feeding the whole house.

So if you run out of hot water and want another shower you can't rely on the combi for hot water as it will probably just be feeding a sink or whatever it is near.

Sponsored Links
In this set up we often fit one of the local showers to the boiler onto the hot water side of the appliance.

Great for houses that have the family bathrooms on the top floors, and a cloakroom shower downstairs.

Does rather limit the ability for some boilers to have weather compensation - but the Intergas or Vokera range would be ideal for this.

Intergas don't have a FHR yet, but Vokera do.

All these boilers will take OpenTherm controllers too.

Hi

I am just in the process of deciding on which boiler to put in my house. we are redoing the whole central heating system from scratch.

I have been advised to go with a sealed system boiler as opposed to a combi boiler.

As some of you may be aware there is a new government scheme which launched last month which is the green deal home improvement fund. Basically if I choose 2 of their energy saving measures I can claim £1500 cashback towards the cost of them. I am looking to use the boiler as measure 1 and a flue gas heat recovery unit as option 2.

My question is can you fit a flue gas heat recovery unit on a sealed system boiler or are these just for combi boilers. I have spoken to 2 different companies regarding this and 1 says its only for combis and the other says it will work on both.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Greg

Hi

As per my knowledge, flue gas recovery can work with most kind of boilers. Although, with a system boiler you are likely to save more by having the recovery unit as compared to combi boiler.

The choice of the boiler depends on your requirement. A system boiler set up is simple with just a hot water cylinder and thermostat.

While combi boiler is more functional meeting dual purposes and involves more work.

The difference shows more with the storage part which the system boiler has and the combi boiler doesn't. However you can customize it by having a pre-heat water tank at the cold water inlet. I have seen one like this with solarimmersion.

Do these flue heat recovery boxes on combis produce an exhaust plume when on standard efficiency combi? I would think they would.

Sponsored Links
You would have to be a ****** to think you can put one on an SE boiler.

Actually I would say that you have more heat to recover on an SE boiler with a 190 C flue gas output than a condensing boiler with a 65 C flue gas.!

So type approval means nothing?

The corrosion in the flue is irrelevant?

The additional condensate the boiler isn't designed to deal with?

Come in T. You should know this knob end posts this kind of stuff to get a reaction. FFS don't give him ammunition.

I only said that there is more heat to recover.

I did not suggest fitting one designed for condensing boilers onto a non condensing boiler.

Tony

Post was a year old and troll went fishing, you lot really ought to push him in the river rather than bite!

I only said that there is more heat to recover.

I did not suggest fitting one designed for condensing boilers onto a non condensing boiler.

Tony
These flue heat recovery units are only just recouperators. Standard boilers had them fitted. The same thing. One of these boxes could have its own condensate drain, as the recouperators had. Vokera do make a flue heat recovery box. Many of them are interchangeable from maker to maker as long as the flue is 100/60.

Did the standard boilers adapted with an internal recouperator give off a plume?

I don't understand your fixation with pluming.

To me its just a visible admission that the boiler is not fully condensing all the water vapour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back