Heat Wrapping of Electrical Wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new light fitting to fix to this point. As you can see, the last person cut the cable short and I, unfortunately, need to extend those wires through a metal cases wall mount. That would leave a single insulated set of wires inside a metal light fitting. Erm..
I have no experience of using heated shrink wraps for wires. Is this something that can be safely done in this situation? Any other advice on this or anything else suitable would be appreciated.

IMG_5299.JPG

Sponsored Links
need to extend those wires through a metal cases wall mount. That would leave a single insulated set of wires inside a metal light fitting. Erm..
Is that not normal? Grommet in any hole.

I have no experience of using heated shrink wraps for wires. Is this something that can be safely done in this situation?
Yes. You just slide it on and play a hairdryer or heat gun on low over it.

The old light fitting is double insulated and did not require an earth. The numpty who installed it has cut the earth conductor back, flush with the wall.
Does your new fitting need an earth? If so, you will need to find a way of making the earth connection.

IMG_5303.JPG
The old light fitting is double insulated and did not require an earth. The numpty who installed it has cut the earth conductor back, flush with the wall.

Yes, but oddly not on the companion light on the opposite wall. There's he has left a bit of copper earth sticking out off the wall.

Does your new fitting need an earth? If so, you will need to find a way of making the earth connection.

It's labelled as double-insulated. However, it's a plug wired wall lamp that I need to cut the input wire to then link those lamp wires to the wall input with a terminal block (which will be, obviously, inside the metal casing).
The current wiring takes the lamp wire through a hole above the bulb fitting (which does have a grommit). The rewiring would take the wall wire through the larger hole visible in the metal plate (which doesn't have a grommit).

Comments are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
So is it your intention to remove the plug, connect the white cable to the wires coming from the wall and still be able to use the in-line switch?
If you are housing it into a metal box, then despite the lamp fitting being double insulated, I would imagine the metal box would need to be earthed.

Oh and yes, you would need to insert a grommet into the hole if the backing plate is metal but it looks plastic.

No, no intention of using the in-line switch. The light would be in the house's ring and operated from those switches ('wired').

The wire from the bulb housing would be cut around 20 cm and rerouted down (i.e. No longer passing through the exit hole it is in the photo) and through the 'large hole visible on the back plate). This would require a terminal block between the wire from the bulb housing and the wall wire. I hope that makes sense?

There's no metal box - only the metal casing shown. Yes, it is a metal casing AND it is double insulated BUT I suspect it would no longer be considered double insulated if it has a terminal block....

Again, all opinions are welcome.

Make sure you know exactly where that buried cable runs - there's not much room for error....

upload_2019-2-23_11-35-41.png

Ideal place for a bit of choc-block:

upload_2019-2-23_11-40-12.png

The backplate is large enough to cover a reasonable area.

CAREFULLY dig out (what looks like and almost certainly is) the filler around where the cable exits to give room to get at the earth conductor and use an Ideal Spliceline to extend it, then heat-shrink over the lot.

upload_2019-2-23_11-49-42.png

Thanks for the tip, bans-all-sheds! I was already aware of that as my next 'problem'. I think I'll 'dig out' the wall cable a little bit (the resulting hole will be covered by the plate, I hope).
Regarding the choc, there's actually a really well thought out little peg just up and to the right of your annotation (you can't really make it out, but you can see it's shadow). That peg fits perfectly into then 'hole' in the centre of the choc.
Not for the first time in my life, I wish there was a useful little plastic box to 'seal' chocs into...(you see them sometimes given with designer lamps as part of the fittings). My dad always use to wrap the, in 'insulation' tape, but let's not get folk heated up discussing about that....

Regarding the choc, there's actually a really well thought out little peg just up and to the right of your annotation (you can't really make it out, but you can see it's shadow). That peg fits perfectly into then 'hole' in the centre of the choc.
Is it long enough to put a 90° bend in it so you can earth the backplate at the same time as fixing the connector strip? Metal tag into one side of one of the terminals in the strip, earth conductor in the other...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back