IKEA light fitting, no space for earth wire?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

I appreciate variations of this question have been asked many times before, but still, I’d be really grateful for any advice.

I’m attempting to install the 3 cord Skaftet light fitting from IKEA. The connection for the wires is housed within a tiny plastic box, which is what I assume means it is double insulated and so does not have to be earthed.

As I say, the box is pretty small and once the live and neutral wires are connected, there’s nowhere to tuck the wrapped earth wire and still close the box. My questions are:

1. Is it safe to squeeze the earth wire (wrapped in tape) in so close to the other wires, and

2. As the box won’t click closed with that in place, can I bind it tight with tape?

I have no idea what else I can do as the body of the light is metal so I’m thinking the earth wire HAS to go in the plastic box.

Apologies if I’ve used the incorrectly terminology, I’m pretty clueless on this and hoped IKEA would be an easy option!

Many thanks.
0146D51F-3D83-428C-AE61-A114BA52030C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The only realistic option using that is to connect using a short piece of 2 core flex, and then put the other end with the other wires into a separate box.
If there is space, sling that box away and fit a slightly larger plastic one in there instead.

hoped IKEA would be an easy option!
Nothing from Ikea is easy. It's all designed to be as cheap to buy as possible, which means vast amounts of extra time and additional components are required to install their light fittings, kitchens, appliances and everything else they sell.

Sleeve the earth, leaving the sleeving just a little longer than the conductor, fold it over 180degrees before it gets to where the terminals are and then dreess it back the other way. (does that make sense without a picture?!)

The box has to contain any unsheathed live and neutral cores to remain double insulated (so the grey can't stop before the box). I'm pressuming you just have one twin and earth cable from the woding in your post? maybe I've wrongly assumed (I think flameport is picturing standard loop in wiring)

I think the OP us saying no space in jb for three fires although I suspect it could be shoe horned in, otherwise as per flameport

Sponsored Links
IKEA light fittings are the worst.

They never sit flush with the ceiling. Never again!

Apologies for whinging but I had to get that off my chest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back