Ikea light wiring Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I have what I think is a really basic question but since electricity is magic for me I can't figure it out on my own.

I removed the ceiling rose and am left with the following wires:
1676390297379.JPEG

The connection on my Ikea lamp looks like this:
1676390297035.JPEG

My question is can I wire the 2 neutral and 2 live wires from the ceiling into the appropriate connector block and tape both earth wires with tape, since the lamp has no earth?

Please help!

Sponsored Links
no,
did you take a photo of the fitting before removing ????

i guess not

One cable will be the live & Neutral in and the other will connect to the live - go to the switch and then return the live back

you need to work out which is which wire - Live/neutral - OR switch

do you have a multimeter/voltmeter ? and know how to use it ?

Colours dont really mean much as one cable will take the live to the switch - for example say the brown and then the blue will return the live , so BLUE & BROWN cna be Live
often the blue would have a brown sleeve to denote its actually used as a Live conductor

so for example the 2 blues may go the the new light to provide a neutral and return switched live
and the browns connected together in a separate connector

Brown to brown in a connector block. Earth to Earth (bare wires) also in connector block. And the two blues to the lamp.

You should use a lighting junction box, but keeping it basic

It's a shame that whoever fitted the original rose didn't think to sleeve the "returning" switched live

as above posted by Eric

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice so far. I asked my neighbour how did they do it and they said they did it the same way as my asked question. So I did the same, against the advice here, and it worked, nobody died and the house still intact.

Can anybody tell me why I shouldn't have done it that way?

There was an assumption made (and given the limited information given - it was understandable), that your light fitting was the only one in the room.
If that was the case, one of the cables at the light fitting would have been a supply cable, and the other would have gone to the switch - providing a switched live back to the fitting.

Instead and I may be wrong, what you appear to have, is a daisy chain of lighting cables from the same switch.
At one of your other ceiling roses, you may find some additional wiring.
A good example here:

and tape both earth wires with tape, since the lamp has no earth?
The earth wires must also be connected together in a suitable terminal block - despite this fitting not needing an earth connection, fittings further down the chain may require one. Just taping the twisted wire together isn't an acceptable way of ensuring a reliable earth connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back