Need help with Ikea light with no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help greatly appreciated
I've bought a Ikea death star ceiling light, but it has no earth.
There are 4 wires coming from the ceiling 2 blue neutral, 1 brown live and a earth I've wired the light to the ceiling but it's not working it's not popping the breaker and all the upstairs lights are working fine apart from this one.

Sponsored Links
Is it the PS 2014? If I have found the right one it is shown as having an earth wire.
If not, what is the model number?

As for not working, that is an unusual number of wires to have. Is there not another brown and another earth somewhere?

Sponsored Links
I would suspect the Live Loop ( 3 brown wires) are in a choc-block shoved up into the ceiling void! As far as connecting the light is concerned, the brown from the ceiling joins (using a choc-block) to the brown on the light, the two blues from the ceiling join with the blue on the light, and finally, the earth from the ceiling (there should be three, maybe all twisted together) MUST join to the earth on the light, again using a choc-block. (According to the installation instructions, there is an earth wire on this particular light fitting. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/assembly_instructions/ikea-ps-pendant-lamp__AA-909781-1_pub.pdf
HTH
Edit EricMark beat me to it!

They went into the neutral on the ceiling rose but I don't know I've not got a tester 1 brown went into live and the 2 blue went into neutral on the ceiling rose and 1 earth any ideas anyone cause the light still isn't working but not popping any fuses.

Try reconnecting the old light.

It's not really possible to offer any help as the wiring as described does not make sense.

I would stick a plug on the light fitting and check it does work.(y) Can you post a picture of the wiring coming out the ceiling please ?

Dave

20180506_181318.jpg

Right. We will deduce that the neutrals are looped at the ceilings and lines(lives) are looped at the switches.

So - all we can say is that , if all the wires are terminated correctly - difficult not to with that fitting - as you know, it should be working.

Have you done anything to the switch?

You really need a multimeter so that you can test and find out what isn't doing as it should.

Definitely no earth on the light fitting, then, so just terminate the earth wire in a connector block and position it safely so that it doesn't touch anything. I suppose the fitting has a plastic cup at the ceiling.

Examine the bulb holder and make sure the bulb is screwing in far enough to touch the contacts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back