Heated towel rail tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My heated towel rail is tripping the main RCD. I'm trying to determine if its the electrical element at fault or something wrong with the wiring. I have disconnected the the Live and Neutral supply to the element and the resistance between earth and Live is approx. 0.5meg ohm, the resistance between neutral and earth starts off at about 0.3Mohms but then drops to 20K. I suspect this proves the element is at fault but want some professional advice before totally remoning it from the radiator only to find its a wiring problem somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the element. If you have disconnected it from the outlet plate, can you not turn the circuit on to see if all is ok with out the element connected? That would be proof positive for you.

Put a plugtop onto the element and plug it into an extention lead plugged into an RCD protected socket. (For temporary testing purposes only) DO NOT use this as a permanant fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back