Live towel rail

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some guidance and ideas. When i was checking a metal electric towel rail for earth continuity with the power off i placed the probes on the flex outlet plate fastening screw and the casing of the towel rail all ok . I then checked from the towel rail chasis to a metal fire also in the room again i got continuity.

I switched the power back on to the towel rail and just because its a bathroom i checked the continuity again, screw to chasis i got an immediate warning beep from my meter and it showed 249v.

The RCD hasnt tripped nor the MCB. So i thought might be that the earth to the towel rail may have become disconnected somewhere between the CU and the fused switch and flex outlet. So just as a quick check i reconnected my probes to the towel rail chasis and the electric fire expecting that if this showed live either the RCD would trip and or i would get a live reading again on my meter. But no it just showed continuity.

Other than somehow the whole of the bathroom ciruit has become disconnected from the earth i cannot understand why none of the CU safety devices or the fuse in the switch didnt blow.

Can anyone with more experience offer any other explanation?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, and dont worry everything is off and will stay off until checked out thoroughly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back