Heater Tripping Breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've just purchased a portable 1Kw thermostatically controlled heater which is tripping a main 80A breaker a few seconds after it is switched on . The socket is also supplied by a 16A Type 2 breaker which doesn't trip.

Why wouldn't the smaller breaker open first?

For info, I inserted an inline wattmeter and confirm it was drawing 952w when the breaker popped.

I assume the heater is defective so will return it. :(

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The 80 amp breaker is likely an RCD which does not re act to over current as MCB's do .RCD reacts to earth leakage ,line to neutral imbalance.

Pic 1 shows my house elec board and pic 2 shows the breaker panel installed in my shed. When I tried the shed sockets to try the heater, it was only the 80A main breaker which tripped.
Does it mean I have a problem with the efficiency of the cct breakers as well as the heater?

I have also noted the new heater has come with an old screw on type 3 pin plug ie not a moulded plug. Am I right to assume that all new electricals should have moulded plugs fitted?

Cheers All

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 277
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 214
Sponsored Links
No it does not indicate there is anything wrong with the rest of the breakers.

Yes, new equipment should have a moulded plug, so it indicates that someone has altered it.
Maybe they did that because it is faulty.

Try plugging in a kettle and see if that trips the RCD. If not then it would appear to be the heater.
Make sure the heater plug is not wired wrongly.

Does it mean I have a problem with the efficiency of the cct breakers as well as the heater?

No, it means that you have an earth leakage fault, which has tripped your RCD. This is not the same as an overload or short circuit, which would trip your MCBs

I've just purchased a portable 1Kw thermostatically controlled heater

show us some photos of this heater, its flex, and the plug please.

Did you buy it new from a reputable retailer?

The heater is all boxed up again for return so just waiting for a response from the retailer.

Cheers All.

Am I right to assume that all new electricals should have moulded plugs fitted?

Cheers All

No. All items should be fitted with a plug, but there is no requirement for it to be a moulded type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back