Heater uncontrollable on shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

What part is needed to control my temperature on my shower please?

The shower has a High, Medium and Low setting but when I select Low, the shower indicates so but after a few seconds, all three lights glow and the temperature rises to what can only be the High setting.

To combat this I have to turn the dial up to High, wait for the 3 lights to go off and 1 come on indicating High. The I have to turn down the temperature but stop it between Medium and Low to obtain the constant Low temperature. If I let it click into Low then the above is repeated.

The Medium and High setting are fine and stable but obviously to hot for use this time of year.

The shower is a Gainsborough Energy 2000x.

Hope you can advise.

Sponsored Links
Probably the selector switch, but given the age of the shower, it is probably not worth repairing.

If the water really is too hot, the flow rate is too low, probably due to limescale or other blockage, or the water pressure to the unit is too low.

The heat settings select which of three elements are powered, the other knob controls the water flow rate which also determines the temperature.

Thanks for the reply.

The flow rate is fine as is the pressure. Minimal limescale as it has been limescaled recently.

Just need to know what 'switch' is the problem to look into replacing it.

The shower is still in great condition.

If it is the selector switch then what part exactly is it please?

I have included images of the shower to help in the opening post.

I can't afford a complete new shower, plus this shower runs on a thicker electrical cable so a shower compatible to the cable would be more expensive than just buying a simple shower.

Sponsored Links
I know the website as I have bought from them before but I not sure exactly what part to replace (if available) please?

The grey rectangular item next to the white circular knob is what's known as a microswitch. These are standard sizes usually and picked as component for consumer electrics. It may only be for the on/off function though rather than the elements, so that's something you'll have to determine.

Take the head off your shower and see if the problem exists, the cold water coming in on the mains is probably 10 degrees warmer than in winter so the shower needs a better flow rate, a bigger shower head (more flow) may sort your problem.

Okay, thanks.

When I get a moment I will take off the shower head and see (when turning the dial to low) if the three lights come on, and get back to you.

I have tried your test of removing the shower head to see what happens.

Unfortunately, the problem still exists. The flow is obviously stronger but still the High, Medium and Low setting lights still come on when the Low setting is set with the water very hot and obviously the wrong heat for Low.

So what component is needed to be replaced please?

I would hazard a guess at the power selector/pressure switch (which is obsolete) cant see what else would cause it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back