Gainsborough Energy 2000x shower. Heating problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 3 heat settings on our shower. High, Medium, Low.

Recently our shower has got hotter on the medium setting. It's now become too hot to use and the Low setting is too cold.

Even though the temperature is too hot to use it does remain stable and not trigger the 'Reduce Temperature' light to come on.

Any suggestions on a cure/fix please?

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

I have checked the hose and shower head and all is clear.

Is there any other filters to check please?

At the solenoid there will be an inlet filter that should be checked also, you will require to isolate both electrical and water.
Also this model is quite temperamental if you do not use the manufactures shower head and hose.
But failing any blockages or kinks in the hose, water pressure would be another thing to look at, it is not unusual for tye water undertakers to change water pressures.
There is a fault finding guide supplied by Gainsborough that may help you diagnose the fault.
Once you can confirm no pressure or blockage issues, then the next stage would be to investigate component failures, such as the ones that deal with the thermomatic controls.
http://www.gainsboroughshowers.co.uk/Customer-Services/Gainsborough-Technical-FAQ/

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice!

As far as I can see there is no blockages that will alter the flow of water to make the temperature hotter. The hose and head aren't original but have been on the shower for a few years now.

The flow has remained the same. That has what has made this problem so weird.

The flow is the same yet the temperature on the medium has got hotter, too hot to use, but it is does not kick in the reduce temp feature.

We can't use the low temp because by the time you have turned the dial to control the water flow to get the temperature suitable, the flow is very weak and pointless.

I have replaced the thermal cut-out with a new one (that we got when we installed a new heat exchanger last year) and the problem of the medium still being too hot remains.

I have also noticed now that when you select the low temperature, after a while all three heat lights (hot, medium and low) all come on and the water gets hotter, presumably to the hot selection.

Any suggestions please on what to do as we have two young daughters who use it and because of a recent redundancy, I can't afford a plumber right now.

I do appreciate your time and efforts. ;)

All is running well but now I have a heat selecting problem......

What part is needed to control my temperature on my shower please?

The shower has a High, Medium and Low setting but when I select Low, the shower indicates so but after a few seconds, all three lights glow and the temperature rises to what can only be the High setting.

To combat this I have to turn the dial up to High, wait for the 3 lights to go off and 1 come on indicating High. The I have to turn down the temperature but stop it between Medium and Low to obtain the constant Low temperature. If I let it click into Low then the above is repeated.

The Medium and High setting are fine and stable but obviously to hot for use this time of year.

Try changing the shower head, some are very restrictive and dont allow enough flow through the shower even when its on minimum.

The shower head, hose are all okay. Water flow is normal. The heater has recently been limescaled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back