heating and hot water controler, urgent help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the old heating and hot water controler (landis & gyr, box with a old mechinical dial and 2 sliders for hw and ch) has stopped working, the slider has broke away and we can no longer turn it on.

im looking to replace this, but i am unsure of what controler to buy i think im right in saying i need a dual chanel one, i have seen one on screw fix direct for around £26.

i cant find a serial number for the broke controler, behind the gas fire there is a boiler that used to come on when the slider was moved to the on position on the old broke controller, this boiler heats the hot water and the radiatiors.

can anytone tell me if is a straight forward swap out of the old controler for a new one? its freezing and we have no hot water, there is a screw fix near to me and if its a staight swap im going to buy one, can any one give me some help and advice? is it a staright swap for a new controler?

we do not have a thermostate anywhere, there is a control on the boiler behind the fire with numbers 1 to 4 and MAX, this is what we use to control the heat of the hot water and the boiler.

there is 3 wires that come from the fire place, these then disaper into the wall and im sure that these 3 wires then go to the back of the old broke controller.

this is the one im looking to replace it with

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11225...ontrols/Horstmann-Centaurplus-C27-Programmer#

can someone help me asap as we have no hot water or heating anymore, i can give more information if it is needed

all the best
lee

Sponsored Links
At a guess I would say you have an old gravity primary system.

From how you describe your wires and the fact you have an old Landis & gyr, there may be a bit of wiring, or at least the tracing of which wires go to which component, before you connect up the new timer.

If you can safely disconnect the programmer and there is a standard backplate like this screwed to the wall you have a good chance of getting a direct plug in replacement. The CH and HW wires normally go to pins 4 & 3 and there will be mains voltage on the pins to the left hand side.

I'm not at all sure how old and non-standard the broken one might be though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back