Heating circuit-can anyone identify this leaking valve pls?

I wasn't being aggressive or at least not intentionally.

A prv is a safety device and still needed. You can't just say cap it off without knowing what other devices have been installed first.

Sponsored Links
Lets ask the old man above exactly WHY those were fitted beside solid fuel boilers.

With an open vent boiler the only logical reason that I can see was in case the parts in the loft froze up.

My Grandmother had one on her coke boiler that heated the kitchen by direct radiation and the hot water cylinder by gravity convection. All the other downstairs rooms were heated by open coal fires. So the chance of freezing in the loft might have been quite high.

The bedrooms were heated by china hot water bottles!

Tony

Surprised you need to ask such a basic question Tony.

1.. it's a safety device.

2.. the manufacturers ask for one.

The Kingfisher for example as posted earlier in this thread.

Safety Valve
A non-adjustable spring-loaded safety valve, preset to operate
at 3 bar (45lbf/in²) shall be used. It must comply with BS 6759:
Pt 1. and include a manual testing device. It shall be
positioned in the flow pipe either horizontally or vertically
upwards and close to the boiler. No shut-off valves are to be
placed between the boiler and the safety valve. The valve
should be installed into a discharge pipe which permits the
safe discharge of steam and hot water such that no hazard to
persons or damage to electrical components is caused.

Thats side stepping the question!

What is the requirement that its installed to meet?

Or if you cannot answer that, why did coke boiler makers ask for one?

By the way that type was NOT suitable for the Kingfisher as its only designed to vent into the room and not into a discharge pipe!

I was intreagued by my Grandmother's when I was about 7 years old! It was there but never did anything!

Tony

I watched Great Expectations film again today, what a wonderful concoction by Dickens. Pity I dont remember the book better to check the differences between the book and film! I am very suspicious about the ending.

Sponsored Links
There name tells you why they are required, Pressure Relieve Valve, whether they are needed is immaterial, they were fitted because they were a manufacturers requirement.

If you want to read the book you'll have to let me know. :p

There name tells you why they are required, Pressure Relieve Valve, whether they are needed is immaterial, they were fitted because they were a manufacturers requirement.

Good old doetail you have the last word,whether it be right or wrong. Now that`s what I call, fighting spirit.

So, there is a new diversion route on the new system with its own new pressure valve...

If this old one is now blowing could it mean:

1. The old one has had it and needs replacing
2. The new one is actually set to high and not bypassing early enough when the heating shuts down

What do you think?

Your old one is leaking purely through age
DIA has given the best answers on why they where req all gas boilers in the past required them then it changed to boilers with low water content heat exchangers then to not required at all and dropped out of manufacturers instructions as a requirement.

On standard domestic systems them come in 1/2" and 3/4" in correct position the easiest way to change them was to snatch them ,we still laugh at our mate who took 1/2 one out threw it behind him only to find the 3/4 one in his hand would not fit :LOL: :LOL:

And use a black iron plug to seal it off better than a brass plug

Agreed - cheers for all responses,
I'm going to get someone in to remove it and plug permanently

Your old one is leaking purely through age
DIA has given the best answers on why they where req.
All gas boilers in the past required them then it changed to boilers with low water content heat exchangers then to not required at all and dropped out of manufacturers instructions as a requirement.

On standard domestic systems them come in 1/2" and 3/4" in correct position the easiest way to change them was to snatch them ,we still laugh at our mate who took 1/2 one out threw it behind him only to find the 3/4 one in his hand would not fit :LOL: :LOL:

And use a black iron plug to seal it off better than a brass plug

Go on doetail you tell him, you do not use a black iron plug if it were a direct system. ;) ;)

He doesnt have to tell me

And its not a direct system so no point mentionining it ;)

Go on doetail you tell him, you do not use a black iron plug if it were a direct system. ;) ;)

no, don't. if every post i made got that kind of snotty / picky reply, then i wouldn't bother with the board.

the first 5 replies answered the ops question prefectly well, why turn it into a pedantry contest over whether something is obsolete or still in the bss catalogue?

Good old doetail you have the last word,whether it be right or wrong. Now that`s what I call, fighting spirit.

I answered Tony because it was addressed to me, and if you think I'm wrong say so, with an explanation, but make sure you get it right, no boo Boos about black iron plugs please.

And whoever rattled stupids chain tell him to go away and read the thread again.

A poster said they are obsolete, and I said they ain't obsolete, so which part of ain't obsolete don't you understand, I even told you where you can buy them, and if you insist I'll even give you the ordering code reference number. :LOL:

stupids. you're so funny. haha ha ha..........

i've followed the thread as it happens, maybe you should reread my post and try to actually understand it. a hint - the key word was pedantry.

nice attitude by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back