Heating circulator incorrectly sized?

I am going to have a go at balancing the system tomorrow morning and see how far I get
You will probably do a better job than the professionals! Here's what to do:

Remove all TRV heads and set all wheel valves to full open
Close (turn clockwise, like a tap) all Lockshield valves then open 1/2 a turn
(The head of a wheel valve may fit and make it easier)
Set pump to speed 2
Set system to heating only
Turn up room stat to a high temperature (so the boiler does not go on and off)
Let the system warm up
(If you have an infrared thermometer or a meter which measures temperature use that, but if not your hand will do)
Check the temperature of flow and return at the boiler - they are your guide. There should be a noticeable difference.
The task now is to adjust the lockshield valves on each rad so they all have the same difference.
Start by feeling each rad: the flows should all feel he same but the returns may vary considerably.
Open up the LS valve of the rad with the coldest return by 1/12th turn or less
Wait 10 minutes for the change to take effect
Check each rad and open the coldest one by 1/12th turn or less.
Repeat until you can't tell the difference between one rad and the next.
You should frequently check the difference at the boiler (a) to refresh your memory (b) to make sure it is not increasing/decreasing too much.
If the boiler difference decreases a lot set the pump to speed 1; if it increases, set pump to speed 3.

When satisfied (don't expect perfection!), replace all TRV heads and adjust wheel valves as required.
Set room stat to required temperature.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You will probably do a better job than the professionals!
A rather sweeping generalisation.
Thought I might get a reaction. :D;)

But when I read so-called professionals saying things such as:

There's no need to balance a system with TRVs as they are self balancing

Just leave upstairs LS valve fully open and half close the downstairs LS (or is it the other way round - I forget).

etc etc

I think my comment is justified

But when I read so-called professionals saying things such as:

There's no need to balance a system with TRVs as they are self balancing

Just leave upstairs LS valve fully open and half close the downstairs LS (or is it the other way round - I forget).

etc etc

I think my comment is justified

That would have been myself who
stated balancing is not normally required when using DRAYTON TRVs (at least quote me correctly).
When you have been in the business as long as I have and gathered enough experience then possibly I might listen to you , until that time arrives then carry on with your armchair Google antics.

That would have been myself who stated balancing is not normally required when using DRAYTON TRVs (at least quote me correctly).
I wasn't necessarily quoting you as I have seen similar advice given on many occasions. In any case, I doubt if Drayton would agree with you as they say:

Failure to correctly balance a system can lead to complaints of inefficient operation and criticism of the operational abilities of thermostatic radiator valves, when in fact the valves are not the source of the problem. Common complaints raised by home owners include:
• Rooms are slow to reach temperature even though radiators are sized correctly
• Some rooms with correctly sized radiators never reach temperature during cold periods
• Room temperatures fluctuate particularly if the TRV is on a low setting

Read Drayton TRV Commissioning Guide

Easy way to balance 99% of systems...

-Heating only turned on.
-Pump on speed 3.
-All TRV's on full.
-Every lock-shield valve 1/4 turn open from fully shut. DO NOT MISS ANY.
-Done. Hardly ever fails.

Worth trying pump speed 2 afterwards if it's noisy but with 16 rad's I'd expect you to need speed 3 (rule of thumb, your mileage may vary).

Possible problems: some brands of lock-shield valve don't even begin to open until about 1/4 turn so you need 1/2 turn to get the equivalent opening. Massive radiators or ones which are particularly far away from the pump may need 1/2 turn instead to get fully hot, but always try with 1/4 turn first and give them time. Tiny radiators and towel rails may be better with only 1/8 turn but again try with 1/4 turn first.

I balance systems ALL the time. Almost always people have tried before me and failed (including my own colleagues).

Call out today......

Radiator either very hot or cold.....

Danfos TRV fitted last week although not by me , lock shield valve had been throttled right down causing insufficient flow rate when sensor head acted on valve.

Call out today......

Radiator either very hot or cold.....

Danfos TRV fitted last week although not by me , lock shield valve had been throttled right down causing insufficient flow rate when sensor head acted on valve.

Isn't that how they are supposed to work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back