Heating coming on when no demand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve had a look through but can’t find an obvious answer to this. I have a Vaillant Eco-Tec Plus boiler and a couple of times recently the rads have heated up when there’s no demand from the thermostat. Thermostat is set to “off” so only demand is for hot water. First time it happened was two months ago after a shower and I replaced the batteries in the thermostat. All fine until this morning when it’s happened again after a shower. Have reset the thermostat and heating has gone off. Before I pay a call out fee I’m hoping to get a view on whether this is likely to be a thermostat issue or something going on in the boiler. Boiler is around 16 years old but had almost every part replaced by Vaillant last year who said practically working as new now.

Sponsored Links
My combi will send hot water to the rads after I no longer call for domestic hot water.

I always assumed that it was the boiler dumping the heat rather than holding it in the heat exchangers.

What type of Eco Tec is it, a system, regular, combi? Could be a sticky 2 port if it's a system/regular or a sticky diverter if a combi

It’s a combi. Thanks that’s useful, will check if the diverter was replaced when they did the overhaul last year.

Sponsored Links
That being said if the boiler continues to run after the HW demand has ceased and it's a combi then there has to be something telling the boiler there's a demand. A sticky 2 port could do that, with a regular/system but that wouldn't apply if it's a combi, that would then normally need a demand from a/the programmer to keep running.

Reactions: CBW
but that wouldn't apply if it's a combi, that would then normally need a demand from a/the programmer to keep running.
It would if it’s zoned off mate. So @flamingle - check if you have more than one zone/thermostat, if not likely the diverter - could have failed or have grit keeping it open. Do you have the Vaillant time clock - these can sometimes stick.

That being said if the boiler continues to run after the HW demand has ceased and it's a combi then there has to be something telling the boiler there's a demand. A sticky 2 port could do that, with a regular/system but that wouldn't apply if it's a combi, that would then normally need a demand from a/the programmer to keep running.

The rads next to my combi used to become warm, not hot, if the DHW has been running for a while. Is that not normal? My Ocean Alpha 240p used to dump hot water in to the the rads (briefly), my 15(?) year old Worcester Bosch may not in fact do that and it may, I assumed that it was normal.

Is it not normal?

The rads next to my combi used to become warm, not hot, if the DHW has been running for a while. Is that not normal? My Ocean Alpha 240p used to dump hot water in to the the rads (briefly), my 15(?) year old Worcester Bosch may not in fact do that and it may, I assumed that it was normal.

Is it not normal?
Without looking into the boiler, it could be normal. Some don’t use a diverter valve (the intergas eco rf 30 for example) and what can happen is Thermo siphoning and a check valve fitted.

Yeah, of course it would, that's what happens when full of the cold and just out my bed :sleep: ... I'll get me coat
I know how you feel, I’ve got something (Unknown) at the moment, a persistent dry cough, keeping me awake at night.

I know how you feel, I’ve got something (Unknown) at the moment, a persistent dry cough, keeping me awake at night.
Is it "a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours"

Anything else?

CV test?

• Thanks
Is it "a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours"

Anything else?

CV test?

It can be coughing 3 or more episodes in 24 hours, however I’ve done 3 Covid tests and all came back negative, the latest being today. Yes, keep going hot and cold, think that’s about it. It’s the coughing that’s annoying. Oddly, my wife said when we had the corona virus (last year) she expected me to be like I am now.

I use dextromethorphan for an irritating dry cough, it is a cough suppressant that works on the nerves causing cough response.

It is in the Dry Cough version of Robitussin and Benylin, probably others.

Look it up, it might be suitable

• Thanks
Opiates are very effective at suppressing coughs.

Years ago, I had (read: self diagnosed) an intercostal muscle injury, presumably caused by excessive coughing. I had some tramadol in my personal pharmacy. I took one a day. It dealt with the pain, and I suddenly stopped coughing. Prior to that, I had been coughing for 3 weeks.

I mentioned that the tramadol had suppressed the coughing to my GP, she said that they are known to do that.

Until recently there were OTC (over the counter) cough medicines that were codeine based. Some remained POM (prescription only medicines). Unfortunately, recreational druggies have forced the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) to consider making all of them POM only.

• Thanks
I use dextromethorphan for an irritating dry cough, it is a cough suppressant that works on the nerves causing cough response.

It is in the Dry Cough version of Robitussin and Benylin, probably others.

Look it up, it might be suitable

Yeah, it is a (yet another) synthetic opiate. It is currently (given my earlier post) a drug that pharmacists can (at the moment) only sell you if convince them that you are not an opiate addict.

Given the whole US opiate addiction (due to the likes of Purdue Pharma, lying to, and hoodwinking the FDA), I would not be surprised to see UK over the counter codeine/paracetamol drugs banned within the next two or three years.

Regrettably, I think we will follow the US/FDA lead, even though here in the UK we have a centralised system of "drug" purchasing which means that NICE have to approve them, and the BNF register/monitor them (in the USA, the FDA approve them, and big pharma can target individual doctors independently). On this side of the pond, a GP has an NHS audited budget, they need to (within degree) justify prescriptions, given that it comes out of their budget.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back