Heating costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am trying to find out how the heating costs work in my property.

While I am finishing of all the works I am only living within a few rooms.

I thought that if I were to turn of any rads that were not needed then the costs would be reduced a lot. However although I didn't calculate it, it didn't seem like the costs were that much lower than if they were turned on.

I have a total of 9 rads and three towel rads and only really need 3 rads and 2 towel rads on.

What would be the difference between having just what I need on or all of them.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
if you turn half the radiators off and leave doors open you will still heat the unheated section to some extent or other

the basic equasion is heat loss greater than input you get colder
greater than heat loss you get warmer

about 30% off boiler output will be water and energy loss so halving the direct heated area by half will only yeald around 30% saving but then you have the heat reaching the areas that are unheated so another say 10% so around 20% savings
now these arent exact figures but give you a rough idea why your not saving 50%

Cheers big-all.

That's great.

It gives me an idea of what I should keep on and what to turn off.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There's generally little, if any, thermal insulation within internal walls, so heat losses through the building fabric into the unheated rooms will be significant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back