Central Heating Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me on the following issue I have with my central heating system

I have a Worcester Greenstar 24rsi (installed 2013) powering 9 older rads on my 1930s semi. It’s an open vented cylinder system with a Honeywell programmer.

I have had my bathroom done and in the process I had a towel radiator fitted to the system. Since then I have had only three rads warming up properly. The new rad was piped directly into the bedroom rad with 1.5 copper pipe and is red hot, as is the bedroom rad that the plumber plumbed the towel radiator to.

The fill pipes to all the rads are too hot to touch but the majority of the rads don’t get hot at all. There is also an almost constant popping / banging noise across the system, particularly prominent when the system turns on but is also there when the system has been on for hours too.

Have tried balancing but that hasn’t worked. The banging noise doesn’t seem to be the pipes hitting against tight floorboards, it is definitely coming from within the radiators.

I do not have independent control of the hot water, both that and the heating need to be turned on for the system to work. I am getting that sorted and also a new cylinder stat as that wasn’t working either.

Bit stuck on this so wondered if anyone had any advice? Thanks a lot in advance

Sponsored Links
I assume you are getting domestic hot water OK from taps. Could be a number of issues with rads not heating ,but you have a circulation problem for sure and maybe trapped air. So close the TRV valve ( or wheel head if no trv ) on all rads that get hot ( don't close the lockshield valves ) and close trv on all rads that remain cold ,EXCEPT one. That should force the flow from pump thru that one rad. This rad may need bleeding whilst you do the trial. If it now heats up ,then one at a time ,open trv on another rad that wasn't heating till it heats up then move on to the next. Bleeding air as you go on each. See how you get on with this for starters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back