Heating distribution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Would anyone be able to assist me please. We are struggling to get the heating to the rads downstairs. They are warm but barely and some cold. When we had a plumber over a couple of years back he adjusted 1 or both of the red turn valves as pictured. Is anyone able to tell me which one is may be so I can try and get it flowing right again. I’m not sure what either do so don’t want to mess it all up.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 593321CF-9C48-493D-9253-EEE48ABDF66D.jpeg
    593321CF-9C48-493D-9253-EEE48ABDF66D.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Hi.

Would anyone be able to assist me please. We are struggling to get the heating to the rads downstairs. They are warm but barely and some cold. When we had a plumber over a couple of years back he adjusted 1 or both of the red turn valves as pictured. Is anyone able to tell me which one is may be so I can try and get it flowing right again. I’m not sure what either do so don’t want to mess it all up.

Thank you.
The valve is for hot water not your heating.Have you bled rads and checked any Stat valves are opening correctly?

the one at the bottom is hot water balancing valve to restrict the flow through cylinder so gently close it then open it by 1 and a half turns
if fully open this can effect heating by robbing it as water always finds the easiest route

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Are all upstairs getting hot then? If not, Check the A side pipe off the 3 port valve, make sure it’s getting hot.

1. The two red valves with round handles are gate valves.
2. The lower one is probably to limit the amount of heat going into the hot water cylinder coil. If not limited the coil can "rob" a lot of heat which would otherwise go to the radiators.
3. The upper one on the left of your picture may well be a manual bypass valve. This lets some water return to the boiler in the event that all valves are closed rather than leaving the pump operating against a closed circuit.
4. Both valves best left alone once satisfactory heating and hot water has been achieved.
5. If the radiators to downstairs are fed from pipes "dropped" down from the first floor the problem may well be air locks. Once air gets into dropped radiators it is quite difficult to get it out again and you might have to reverse fill the system from a drain off point. If you do have to do this, take care not to overflow the F&E tank (if you have one).

Thank you for the help folks. I didn’t realise anyone had replied as normally I get notifications but didn’t in this instance.

I’ve restricted the lower gate value to restrict into the tank. I’m assuming the one on the left needs to be open just a tad for enough water to trickle through.

The rads upstairs are boiling but still struggling to get it pushed downstairs with the same high temp. I’ve bled everything and there is no air.

Not sure what to try next.

Hi CBW.

The pump is fairly new and is on setting 3 on constant. Is a Grundfos with 3 different modes for different system types. It’s on the standard setting on speed 3.

The A feed on the value is absolutely baking.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back