Heating Element for Towel Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am confident with plumbing a towel rad into the central heating system which is run off a combi boiler.

I am going to install a 600 watt heating element into the towel radiator. A local electrician is going to install a new consumer unit here in September and I hope he will undertake wiring the heating element at the same time.
I have emailed him the following questions but I think he is on holiday and has, understandably, not responded as yet.

Hi Tony,

I am about to fit a towel radiator to the wall in our bathroom which I will plumb into the central heating system.
I would like it to be fitted with a heating element for summer use and therefore would ask if you would be interested in doing the necessary wiring and spur work at the same time as the consumer unit replacement.

If you will do it I need to know a few things.
1. The cable which was feeding the electric shower (now removed) is lying, dormant, under the floorboards and still attached to the isolation switch. Will that cable be appropriate to use for the heating element?

2. I want to get the radiator plumbed into the central heating this weekend. If I fit the heating element into the radiator with the flex hanging out will it be possible to wire it without having to interfere or disconnect the water supply to the radiator?

I hope this makes sense! Basically, will it be safe to have the radiator operating with the heating element installed but not wired up until sometime in September?
Also, sorry if this should be in Plumbing section but I thought that as is mostly to do with electrics that I should put it here.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It will be fine to use without the flex connected but think about what side of the rad you want the cable as it'll be a pain to change once it's filled

The normal wiring procedure is to have a spur (with timer if you want) outside of the bathroom and then a flex outlet inside the bathroom to connect the towel rail into.

Your shower cable could well be used but you could just break into a nearby socket circuit too

Great news. Thanks, Iggifer, for the answered question and additional tips.

Regards,

Martii.

I have considered an electric element in the towel rail, but question is how do you stop thermo syphon? I know they are designed as duel fuel, however it does depend on the wet system in use, and how it is plumbed. I have seen so many burn out because the radiator is not full. However tend only to get called when it goes wrong, so as to how often it goes wrong I do not know.

I would use a single socket box back to back with brushes in a grid switch so easy to pass cable into a non bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Ericmark, I'm hopeful my sparky will know what he is doing with regards to wiring up.

Taylor, the radiator is on the opposite wall to the showerbath so about 1.5mtrs.

If the pipes are rising through the floor to a wall mounted towel rail then there is virtually no chance of thermo syphoning occurring, even with both radiator valves open.
At least that's my experience with the three I have installed and used successfully for more years than I can remember.
Of course you have to ensure the CH boiler isn't endeavouring to pump water around the circuits at the same time.

Jackrae, I've not heard of thermo syphoning before and don't know what it is but your assertion that, with the pipes feeding vertically, it will be ok gives me comfort.
However, what do you mean about the CH boiler pumping water around the circuits at the same time?
I think it means that the electric heating element and the house/boiler central heating shouldn't be on at the same time because if both heating components are operating at the same time that would cause problems. Is that correct?
If so, then thanks for the heads up. That hadn't occurred to me before.

Yes, some boilers when 'satisfied' with respect to the central heating thermostat, continue to run their circulation pump. But is your CH is set to "OFF" then obviously the pump won't run (apart from the occasional 'anti-seize' random running)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back