Heating for the holiday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Atag ic Economiser 27Plus boiler, can I turn off my water at the mains without causing any damage to the boiler. The boiler is in a cold utility, will the boiler frost protection keep the boiler safe.
Should I leave the heating on constant at a very low temperature, say 12 Degs. I will be away for 2 weeks, I don't want a flood or to waste more energy than I need.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What does your house insurance say? Most seem to want the heating left on at least 12 degrees if the water is not drained from the system.

If your heating system is pressurised (no loft tanks) then yes it'll be fine with cold water switched off.
Is frost protection enabled on your boiler? Does it have frost protection?

Thank you for your replies.
My insurance only requires heating if my house is left more than 60days.
Yes the frost protection is on for the boiler, I'm not sure if this will stop pipes freezing in the house. I have not lived in this house for long and only had access to the under floor in one room, all other rooms have Laminate flooring so can't get under the floor. The one room I did look at, did not have any pipe lagging, so I assume this will be the case for the rest of the house. Maybe it would be wise to leave the heating on a low setting? I have read covering the air bricks for the holiday duration could help.

Sponsored Links
How cold does the place get on a frosty night with the heating not on? If you want to play safe, yes leave heating on constant with the room stat set to 10° or so- that should set the heating running intermittently on frosty nights which will keep the underfloor pipes warm.
If you've got uninsulated pipes in a ground floor suspended floor you're throwing a lot of money away heating the world......
EDIT Blocking air bricks will warm the floor void up and trap a load of water vapour under there which won't do your floor timbers any favours.

Leaving the heating on 24/7 at 10-12C in your scenario is IMO very sensible and unlikely to be ruinously expensive.

I'm would like to thank everyone for their advice.
I think the consensus is to leave the heating on a low setting, sounds like good advice too me.

I take on board the point not having the under floor pipes lagged is wasting money, but without wrecking my house taken up the laminate flooring too gain access to the pipes I don't have any choice.

Leave your heating on whatever low for 2/3 hours reading the meter before and after. You have the consumption then extrapolate it to the holiday and you'll have a figure then compare that figure to the likely cost, financial and emotional, of water damage through freezing and thawing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back