Heating & hot water problem since new radiator install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, my first post so go gentle please!

My heating system is the kind with a header tank in the loft. There are 4 double radiators downstairs and 3 single radiators upstairs that run off the pump plus one in the bathroom which runs when the hot water is being heated and is gravity fed.

In case it is relevant, when the CH is on the water is always being heated, you cannot switch the water off while the CH is on, but you can have the hot water on without the CH.

So, earlier this year we had to replace the old radiator in the bathroom - it was taken off for re-tiling and got dropped - damaging the threads when the valves attach. The new radiator is slightly bigger (taller) by about 4 inches. I fitted it myself, all went very smoothly no problems and a job I have done a few times in the past - I'm pretty good with all things DIY.

The radiator worked perfectly well in the summer! Much hotter than its aged predecessor. However, we had occasion to switch the CH on the other day and found that when that was on, the new rad in the bathroom lost most of it's heat and took a long time to initially heat up. Consequently the hot water also took a little longer to heat and doesn't get as hot as it used to.

The valves were both replaced and are both open (I was told that was best on this type of set-up) but nevertheless a big difference in the heat out put. This morning with the heating on I recorded the temperature on this rad at 43 degrees. I then switched the heating on and recorded the temp an hour later, as 36 deg.

Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
For a start you should balance the system. See FAQ

Only then can you decide if there is any fault.

Tony

Thanks for your input - the system is balanced

Although, the local plumbers merchants run by a guy who is a CH engineer, told me that on this type of system the balancing of the pumped rads won't make too much of a difference to the gravity fed rad/water heater coil as the gravity feed will always give way to the pump circuit.
His best suggestion was a complete re-install of a modern system (that presumably is the type of system that my friends and colleagues are always complaining about that keeps breaking down :) this seems a bit harsh when it only went like this after replacing the bathroom radiator & valves

Sponsored Links
Who balanced it?

What are the flow and return temps to most rads?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back