Heating/Hot Water Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently built an extension and added just two radiators upstairs which was reasonably easy to do.

However, since we've had this spell of bad weather the radiators downstairs didn't really get warm enough and I immediately suspected that I needed to balance all the radiators.

Now, I realise this is quite a complex thing to do, but I started off turning all the rads off at their lock shields and opened them just a quarter/half of a turn each, and they all started warming up nicely.

I then went downstairs, and the rads down there have also started warming up as they should as well, so all good down there too.

However, having messed around with the balancing of the radiators, it seems to have done something to the domestic hot water, as it barely gets hot enough to have a shower.

In our airing cupboard there are a couple of gate valves, and I don't know what they're for.

I wouldn't know whether to open or close them, and Im hoping someone on here will be able to give me some advice.

I have drawn a detailed diagram of the layout of the pipes in our airing cupboard.

The central heating pump looks pretty old, and a very kind friend has just given me a brand new Grundfos as a replacement, as he said the pump might be getting tired.

Any help gratefully received.

Graham

View media item 40521

Sponsored Links
In our airing cupboard there are a couple of gate valves, and I don't know what they're for.

I wouldn't know whether to open or close them, and Im hoping someone on here will be able to give me some advice.

I have drawn a detailed diagram of the layout of the pipes in our airing cupboard.

View media item 40521

It might help if you include said gate valves on your diagram Graham

Matt

Its difficult to guess exactly how your system is configured.

Do you have motor valves?

You might even have a gravity HW circuit.

Does the pump run if you have just HW selected?

Do you have a stat on the cylinder?

Do you time the HW seperately and if so do you startr it say 30 min BEFORE the CH ???

Tony

Sponsored Links
ah, couldn't see them at first as they were obscured by the picture controls :oops:

The valve connected to the cyl is the cyl balancing valve try opening this some more
the other one connected to the pump most likely is the bypass valve (you dont show how its connected the other end) this will be set to slightly open (as in nearly closed)

Matt

Agile, I think that is a mid position valve that he is showing roughly centre of page under the cyl

Matt

I think you are right Matt but with that configuration ( if correct ) there will be something nasty in the loft with the pump across it !!!

The left gate valve can be opened to max.

There is no need for a bypass on a three port valve. So I would guess this MIGHT be a feed for an always on towel rad or radiator.

Turn the right valve off and see what effect this has. If its a bypass then its not needed. If it turns out that it feeds the towel rail then open just 1/2 turn.

Tony Glazier

Gents - thanks so very much for your most detailed replies.

I realise that my diagram may not have been too clear, so have taken a bit of time to make it easier to understand. Please find attached new diagram.

As far as I understand things, my heating system is a standard gravity fed indirect design, with conventional boiler and normal copper cylinder.

If you take a look at my diagram, I'm really interested in knowing what the two gate valves do at the bottom near the floor, as it would appear that the heating system is 'nicking' all the hot water, and it's not heating the cylinder up sufficiently.

Any ideas?

It's another balancing issue. Heating v hot water.
You could open the cylinder gate valve to make it easier for water to go that route.
You could close all the lockshield valves just a touch to make it harder to go via the heating circuit.
You could actually start with the by pass gate valve and close it so nothing or very little can pass through.
As you have a mid position valve, your system is fully pumped for both HW and CH. A gravity system relates to how the HW circulation functions

So, going by my diagram, you think opening the gate valve on the left?

Presumably that would give the water an easier route to travel yes?

What does the other gate valve do that comes off the bottom of the three port valve?

The other gate valve is on the by pass pipe which allows water to get back to boiler without going through almost anything. So it should restrict 99% of the water and in the case of a mid position valve its not required. Sometimes these are automatic by pass valves which are basically spring operated, only allowing water to pass when a pre set pressure is reached.
Yes you can make it easier for water to hot water way or harder for it go CH way.
I'd try closing by pass valve first, second I'd open the coil valve a little because its easier than closing all lockshield valves a touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back