Heating oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are selling our house and the buyers survey report said that our oil tank was too close to the dining room window, and that it should also be bunded. Is this right for a normal domestic property, I thought this would only apply to commercial premises?

Sponsored Links
Oil tank should be a min of 1800mm away fron house and 750mm from boundry. This is current regs. The oil supplier should not (according to the rules) fill the tank if its not to standard, but then probably 90% of installs don't comply and the oil delivery companies would go out of business. If you check on the OFTEC web site it should have the relative info for you or you could ask for a dispesation from you building control if it was installed a number of years ago. Also if its above a certain capacity it should be bunded I think its 250 to 300 gallons but someone will correct me if wrong bearing in mind I'm talking about Scotland.

Hi Cozzmic,

Thanks for that, it is a large house and I opted for a 600 gallon tank to save on frequent re-fills. I'll check the OFTEC site for more info - thanks

If it contains 2500 litres or more (check with building control as they and oil storage regs differ) the oil storage regs apply. If it was installed after 1st September 2005 it should have been bunded when installed. If it was installed before then and it is not bunded it should be replaced with a bunded tank or bunded in some way to satisfy the regs if it is bigger than 2500l (though I don't think this happens often as Cozzmic says!)

1800mm from building and 760mm (not 750!) from boundary (that isn't a building)

See part J and oil storage regs 2001

Sponsored Links
I dont think the position of your oil tank is going to put anyone off buying your house. Unless its in the living room.

In the ideal world according to Building control , Oftec, Defra and all the other to ssers that stick their oar in, the ideal place to live, would be in one of these

Nice and safe. Just impractical... Like 90% of the things they come up with.

Rule Brittania :LOL:

Trouble is if it is picked up by a surveyor the mortgage won't go through, insurance could be a problem blah blah blah!

Depends when tank was fitted. ie:pre all the "regulations" .Even domestic tanks have rights you know. Note: I said DOMESTIC

If insurance companies start that marlarcky, they would be best advised to buy a few tank manufacturers out, and watch the money roll in as every man and dog is forced to change/move tank.

Totally impractical.........AND therefore .more than LIKELY :LOL:

Hi there
I am just struggling with the same problem of having an oil tank sprouting holes - but it's too near the house to replace effectively without an expensive fire barrier. (Which you do need if you want your house insurance to pay up ..worth checking the small print!). But the answer is - a tank with built-in 30min fire protection! No firewalls necessary. Try Googling Tuffa Tanks or a company called Ecosure - both of whom do them. Hope that helps you as much as it's helping me! x

My understanding is if the tank was fitted before May 1st 2005 then the regs are superceded, so the tank may have been compliant when it was installed, because as everyone has said about 90% are "illegal" I worked out that in over the 1,200 boiler services that 10 of them were compliant!!! & onlt 1 was compliant before the 2005 reg change!!! sounds to me if the customer wants the house " at a discount"!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back