Moisture / liquid warning in double bunded plastic oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a 2 year old double bunded plastci 1200ltr oil tank with a Watchman remote sensor which is flashing alternately the quantity in the tank and a small "c" on the display and the red light is on permanently. Also using oil very rapidly ( appx 100litres a week for a Rayburn 680) but this is prob due to the weather rather than a leak. Talked to the tank supplier who suggested it's the battery in the sensor & claims that they've discontinued that unit so no batteries available ( ?! in 2 yr old unit) & to contact Watchman in northern ireland. Done that - they said indicator is saying moisture ( condensation from cold weather/water/oil) is present in the bund between the inner tankl and outer skin & this needs checking first. Now trying to get the tank supplier ( local firm ) to come and check it out but no response as yet to 2 days of phone calls. Is there any way I can check what is in the bund & whether we have a big/medium or small problem ?

Sponsored Links
Can you lob in a length of cord or rope which will reach the bottom of the bund, and absorb anything that may be there?
I have little faith in the Watchman, and my own Apollo is even worse. At least they replace it every time before the warranty is up!
John :)

under the tank lid you should find a white plasic pipe about 30mm dia with an open end, this is for attaching a suction pump to remove oil or whatever from the bund try fitting a suction pump to this if nothing is pulled out then the bund is M.Tee ! the new Watchman Sonic is a better piece of kit IMHO the copper battery tube is not used anymore you can come to your own conclusion about that!! :p

Sponsored Links
Copper battery tubes are, however, still available, but should last much longer than two years in any case. We're still on our original one and IIRC the tank's been in about six years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back