heating on all the time or on in bursts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just wondering which you guys in the trade recommend

in winter time is it better to leave the heating on low all the time e.g 24/7 or have the heating on higher but "timed" to come on/off at peak times e.g. couple of hours in the morning before work, evenings & then off overnight.

is there any saving in terms of less gas used with either method. my old man has his heating on all the time & my father in law just has his on in bursts. one's says you use more gas with it on all the time, but the other says you'll use more gas in a house that's being heated up from the cold on & off.

any thoughts please

Sponsored Links
A lot of factors to consider, so it's unlikely there's a 'one size fits all' answer

How long do you spend in your house each day?
What temperature do you call 'comfortable'?
What is the outside temperature?
How long does your house take to warm up?
How long does it take to cool down when the heating is off?
Is the house well insulated?
etc
etc
etc

A lot of factors to consider, so it's unlikely there's a 'one size fits all' answer

How long do you spend in your house each day?
What temperature do you call 'comfortable'?
What is the outside temperature?
How long does your house take to warm up?
How long does it take to cool down when the heating is off?
Is the house well insulated?
etc
etc
etc

yep appreicate all that, but generally speaking

Its more efficient to leave it off and wear a big woolly jumper to maintain comfort.

Sponsored Links
its freezin here so our heating is on and will be staying on till easter, dont care about the cost, we will turn it down low and leave it on for long periods and then turn it up at peak times, but if you put it off the house cools doen, obviously, but i would rather be warm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back