Heating piping question....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Had the floor up for something else and spotted something on the plumbing for the central heating that I thought I would query. (only had the house 3 months)

There are 22mm supply and return lines run out under the floor from the boiler to the middle of the 1st floor landing with
one of these (link) manifolds on for the first floor radiators (5 rads) and two tees to take the 22mm headers down to below the ground floor.

One of the supply 8mm take-offs from the 1st floor manifold just ties directly back into the return manifold.

This to me seems to be a bit daft and would just 'short circuit' the system? I thought about minimum flow line however there is a gate valve at the boiler between supply and returns, and also the ground floor bathroom rad is lockshields only (all the rest are TRV).

I am an operator offshore so do a lot of pipefitting however I dont have the experience on domestic stuff to say if there is a good reason for this.

Any advice would be grand whether or not this is correct.

Also, all the radiators are run on 8mm microbore with runs to and from the manifolds of about 5-8 metres from the supply/return headers. Although everything seems to get hot alright is this okay long term or is it going to be better to think about repiping in 15mm when I decorate?

Cheers all.
R.

[/url]

Sponsored Links
It is a requirement to link up all the unused ends on many manifolds so I think that this is correctly connected and nothing to worry about ;)

Would it not be better to just pop a blank into the unused 8mm lines rather than tie them from supply direct to return side?
I would have expected that to have an effect on the downstairs part of the system, since the upstairs is effectively one loop even if all radiator valves are closed off?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Boilerman what requirement is there to use all tails on a manifold.
As you say ross you already have a bypass fitted further back thi just needed a cap on it.

Personally if your redecorating i would replace with 15mm , less chance of blocking and heats up quicker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back