Heating pressure and minor green stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new house with an unvented system. I have been bleeding radiators ocassionally since i moved in, just 2 that seem to accumulate air but seem to have most out the system now.

I have obviously had to top up the pressure since. The heating pressure seems to drop very slightly, but only after the hot water or CH has been on and then starts to cool down. I.e. it will sit at 1.2 bar when it is cold, goes up to 1.5 when it is running, but then goes down in very small increments to say 1.1 after having the heating on / off for a few days. I do not think it is the heating system as it does the same when i only have the hot water on too, i.e. drops ever so slightly after having it on.

There are no signs of a leak, however the PRV was opened at the home demo (I know!!!) to show me how to release pressure if it was topped up too much. There was a very small amount of water coming out the tundish, after this happened for a couple of days - and i mean residue of water not a drip. However this has now stopped and seems perfectly dry.

the only other evidence of a minor leak are at the boiler pipe on top of the boiler going up to the pump. Again this is dry, and even when the system is cold can't feel any moisture so not sure if this is a leak or just some old flux.

Sorry it is so long winded! Plumbers who installed system have said they will replace the PRV / vessel if it carries on losing pressure (if the leak out tundish returns).

Could it be air in the system causing evaporation, as i can still hear a gurgling at times from one of the radiators. It is microbore pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_9414.JPG
    IMG_9414.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9424.JPG
    IMG_9424.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9426.JPG
    IMG_9426.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
Good evening Kton,

Have you checked all around your radiators? It could be the expansion vessel losing air if it’s only happening every so often - might be better getting a G3 registered installer to check it out. It could also be trapped air with you hearing gurgling.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Since this post it seems to have settled down, has dropped to just under 1.1 bar but that is as low as it has been and normally only gets to that pressure when it’s been idle overnight. Still hearing some gurgling from a couple of radiators but when I try and bleed them it is just water I get out, so will prob wait til the summer when it isn’t off for an extended period to allow air to escape hopefully

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back