heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
to anyone who can help

i have been having ongoing problems with my central heating system, first of all let me explain the set up
i have a boiler in the kitchen , seems to be working correctly
tank pump and electrical timer (horstmann channelplus h11)in the bedroom
and water tank in loft(full)

now the problem : about 2 weeks ago the heating packed up , hot water ok just no heating, after a timer reset the heating works ok , however now its a lottery whether it will come on or not , after a reset it works everytime, but may not work the next time , when not working the electronic timer says it is 'on' but the pump does not sound like it is does when it is really on . now i dont want to go to the expense of a new pump if it is the timer or vice versa. could anyone tell me if it could be the pump even if after i reset of the timer it pumps water correctly

sorry if this sounds rubbish but it is hard to put into words

by the way i have had a plumber round and because it worked after a reset they said there is no problem.

any ideas would be much apreciated :)

Sponsored Links
do you have a 3 port valve or 2-2 port valves sounds like a motorised valve to me. if you select the heating go upstairs and u should hear the valve switch over or get someone else to do it the valve when it connects with the micro switch will make your boiler and pump become live so to speak.

To check your pump:
With your heating "on" remove the big screw in the face of the pump [ bleed screw ], you should see the impeller turning or to double check it is, start and stop it via the timer or stats. You will get some water out of it with the screw removed but not a lot.
Check your boiler stat is at Max and room stats are say 21c and if you have a hot water stat, it is also at say 60f as any of these could be stopping your boiler.
Must say, i does sound like your timer is not controlling as it should from what you have said.

thanks for the fast replies fella's i will check the pump when i get home and if thats in working order i suppose a new timer is in order

thanks again

Sponsored Links
bellairaphon , i think you may be right , checked pump as suggested and seems to be running ok , timer coming on at right times but no heating at all now microswitch seems old and the pin is always loose , whether timer on or off , i cant check it though because heating will not work at all now, i still have hot water to the taps , would this happen if the valve is broken? have you any idea if changing the valve is a big job , i think a plumber is required but will prob have trouble now before xmas

sounds more like a timer issue.
if heating only on is the pump running ?
you need to check from the programmer, stat, mot valve, pump/boiler for live power.

reading the post you have a dodgy programmer and nothing working then all of a sudden we've jump to a mot valve problem.

seco is right - you haven't done anywhere near enough fault-finding, so you're jumping to wild conclusions.

thats exactly why im here , checked pump seems to be ok, as already said valve must be ok because the pump is working timer says on but no heating ? ? ? any ideas

thats exactly why im here
But you haven't attempted to find out how to diagnose the fault. :(

checked pump
What does this mean?

seems to be ok
What does this mean?

valve must be ok because the pump is working
I don't follow your reasoning.

timer says on but no heating
If there's no heating, then hot water is not flowing from the heat source to the radiators.

If hot water isn't flowing, then (a) it's not hot, or (b) it's not being pumped, or (c) there is a closed valve or some other obstruction.

Until you determine which of those it is, you haven't got anywhere.

so you have heating on only at programmer
stat calling
pump running

what is boiler doing ?

have you one of these ?
imagesug.jpg

or two of these ?
imapo.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back