heating programmer not powering up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Problem: Original controller (Horstmann H527) was no longer controlling either the heating or hot water. It was powered up, lights were on but when it was supposed to be running either function there was just a low, electronic, hum coming from the unit and the boiler wasn't firing up.
I took the controller off and opened it up, smelt of burning rubber. I assumed that as neither heating or water worked that the controller had failed.
Bought a Horstmann C27. Wired it in and it won't power on. The display flashes up for a couple of seconds and dies again. I have tested the socket, stripped all the wires etc but nothing works.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If i remember correctly those horsmanns can be funny on startup. You may have to press and hold the 'set' and 'ch' buttons together for a few secs and then release to reset the programmer before startup and it should sort itself out

Many thanks for the replies, will post wiring pics in the morning. Have held the set and ch buttons for ages, repeatedly, and I get nowhere. Old unit was 8 pin backplate with links and new one is six terminal that says it doesn't need links as they're internal.

Sponsored Links
Taken all the heating side wires out and the unit still won't power on. I'm considering taking it back in the morning and trying a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back