Heating pump constantly running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly i would just like to say what a great forum and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here!

Secondly i have a couple of questions to ask.

I have just fitted a room stat to my CH system between the time clock and the boiler in doing so i noticed that my pump is running constantly should it do this or would it be better to have it shut of with the boiler ? It has always been like this.

Also the boiler cuts on and off every 5 mins or so when the room stat is set at 25c but no were near as much when it set at 20c. The rads are getting hot and all have trvs but the one in the hall is set to fully open as this is where the room stat is. Will probably remove this soon. There is also a pressure bypass in the loft.

It is an oil fired standard system closed but vented with hot water tank and the boiler stat is set to 80c, 6 rads.

The bungalow is only 2 bedroom and well insulated in the loft and doubleglazed all round.

The Idea of a room stat was to try and stop the boiler from starting so frequently as the whole system was running on TRV's.

Any help would be great and I will happily supply more info if needed.

Thanks in advance Ian

Sponsored Links
Some boilers control the pumping a manner commonly known as "overrun". I don't know if your boiler is one of those. If it is, then the overrun control might be faulty.

If not, the either your system is wired incorrectly, or you have a faulty (or sticking) motorised valve.

Hi thanks for the reply, My boiler does not have an over run nor are there any valves it is just wired in to run continually and iam wondering if this is why the boiler is constantly on and off when the room stat is set slightly higher if the pump is pushing cooler water round and not letting the hotter water heat the rooms ?

It sounds like your boiler is cycling on/off according to the effect of its own thermostat, instead of responding to the demand from the room and cylinder thermostats, so you have an opportunity to introduce more controls and save money on fuel.

Sponsored Links
If i lowered the boiler thermostat will that help ? Iam going to work out and try and see if the boiler is oversized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back