Heating query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

wonder if I could get some advice...

we have a problem in our hallway, which is very open, with a mezanine. The measurements are:

3.7m x 4.9m x 5m (high)

there is a wooden frame single glazed window and wooden frame single glazed door, both into a porch. Upstairs there is a small window, which is double glazed.

In the loft we have around 300mm of insulation.

The majority of the walls are cavity filled with insulation.

Installed in this we have 2 radiators measuring:

110mm x 600mm double rad with double fins
100mm x 600mm single rad with fins.

The problem we have, is it takes several hours for the room to reach the required temp of 18oc, by which time we're either going out to work, or going to bed!

Are the rads the correct size for the room? Other than replacing the single glazed items, is there anything else that we can do to improve the situation?

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
Rads only 110 mm long are indeed very short and totaly insufficient to provide any significant heat at all.

I would recommend about 0.2 kW per sq m so with about 18 sq m you need about 3.5 kW of heating.

But thats based on a standard height. With virtually double the height you could almost double the heat output to perhaps 5 kW if you want the area to be warm.

But if its only a hallway why do you need it kept very warm anyway?

Tony

Sorry, the measurements of the rads are 1100mm and 1000mm respectively.

The reason for wanting it warmer, is the wife seems to have lived in a barn, and likes to leave doors open everywhere, despite my requests to close them where possible. So, then she decides she has to boost the temp in whichever room she's in, to compensate for the heat movement!

What is the normal temp for a hallway?

If the rads are actually getting hot then yes they are too small or a roomstat elsewhere in house is being satisfied before room has a chance to get up to temp.
There are several online calculators that will tell you what size rads are req just remember these are minimum sizes to heat room up in 1 hour if you want it quicker increase the size

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - I've tried using the radiator company's calculatorthe radiator company's calculator, to calculate the heat requirements:

it reckons between 3686 and 4418 with single glazed, or 3348 to 4015 for double.

Looking at my screwfix catalog, and comparing the radiators we have, one is about 1908 W the other about 948, so approx 3000, which is still quite short for the amount required. I think we'll be buying a new radiator for the upstairs to replace the 948 version with one rated 1788W, which hopefully should help!

Thanks
Tony[/url]

The normal temp for a hall in a small house is 21 C just like the rest of the house.

However, a large hall which is only used for entry/exit can be kept cooller at say 17-18 C to save heating costs.

Measuring your current stabilised temperature will give a good indication of how much more heat you need. I am not confident your plan will be enough.

In most cases I would not bother unless the heat output was doubled!

Tony

Hi Tony,

I think we can maintain a temp of about 16.5oc without too much problem.

In rooms we use most, we have programable thermostats to control the temps, but its a case of training the wife to keep doors closed, if she wants to stay warm ;)

Thanks
Tony

We have the option of moving the rad from downstairs upstairs, and then buying a bigger one for downstairs - ones I've looked at are 3218 W or 2861W.

Any thoughts?

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether to go for this or not? I'd like to get it organised asap, to stop the earache I get from the wife ;)

Thanks
Tony

Is this worth doing? Should I just save my cash?

Any advice gracefully received!

Tony

Only you can decide what you want to do.

As a heating engineer I expect all houses to be properly heated at 21 C when its cold outside. Customers often dont want to spend the money on doing things properly. But they do spend money on holidays and cars and drinks!

As I said, I think you need at LEAST 5 kW !

A simple solution to someone who leaves doors open is a door closer spring!

Tony

As I said, I think you need at LEAST 5 kW !

A simple solution to someone who leaves doors open is a door closer spring!

Tony

Thanks Tony, I assume the 5kw was in total for the room rather than just an additional 5kw.

I'd love to get door closers, but I can imagine where they'd end up ;)

Thanks
Tony

That was 5 kW in total based on your floor area and high ceilings.

More is not a problem as once it reaches the set temp the TRVs will control it there.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back