Radiator size for hall & landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to replace an old double radiator measuring 1100 x 700mm. Its adjacent to the front door / porch door in the hall which is approx 7 X 2.5m in size.

Obviously the landing is upstairs and this rad "warms" this area of the house too. The landing is approx 4m long.

There are two outside walls (cavity filled). The floors are traditional floorboards. There is one small window on the landing - double glazed - no windows in hallway.

So what size of rad do i need?

Any advantages, other than size, for double or single rads?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Does the hall and landing get warm enough for your needs already?

If so then it should be a straight swap.

Not really, I feel the area is cool.

Someone told me that the rad, which is not finned is not as efficeint as a new rad - size for size. They also said a smaller rad these days could give as much heat, if not more as "that old thing".

The ting is I guess 20 years old?

B

Sponsored Links
A new 'finned convector radiator will give roughly 40% more heat output than your existing.

Downsides are that it will sit further off the wall so pipe work may have to be altered.

You have a choice of a double convector (2 sets of fins, or in laymans terms 1.5 convector), a double with only 1 set of fins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back