Radiator sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting a 1300 x 700 radiator installed in my hallway and am not sure whether to go for a single or double.

It will be heating the downstairs hall, stairway and small upstairs landing. The front door is in the hallway, which is the only external wall. The hallway is about 3 metres long.

Any suggestions on the power / BTU I will need from the radiator?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Didn't know you could get a 1300mm long rad. All makes I fit do 1200 then 1400 :confused:

Sponsored Links
You should be choosing the rad based on the heat input needed after calculations.

A long single panel is neater and better spreads the heat.

A shorter double panel should be the last resort.

Tony

Agile said:
You should be choosing the rad based on the heat input needed after calculations.

Don't you mean output :eek:

A long single panel is neater and better spreads the heat.

A shorter double panel should be the last resort.

Tony

WHY :?:

I would always rather a short double, can't see how the single panel would make much difference as the heat is spread mainly by convection.

Halls are always a compromise, with so much of the hot air going upstairs. Houses with 3 levels are impossible. You do have to do the sums first though.

You dont calculate the radiators heat OUTPUT ! The manufacturers have already done that for you.

You calculate the INPUT that the room needs to heat it ! You them find rads to provide that output.

In an ideal room all the surfaces would provide heating. UFH is pretty good as it emits heat from the whole floor surface. Pity it has such a high thermal inertia.

A single panel for the same heat output is nearly twice as long as a double so it spreads the heat better. They are also usually cheaper per kW output.

Sorry about those who prefer to fit doubles!

Tony

Agile said:
You dont calculate the radiators heat OUTPUT ! The manufacturers have already done that for you.

You calculate the INPUT that the room needs to heat it ! You them find rads to provide that output.

You didn't say that previously

A single panel for the same heat output is nearly twice as long as a double so it spreads the heat better. They are also usually cheaper per kW output.

Not above 1600mm long. The price is disproportionate for lengths greater than these.

As an installer you have to take into account the customers needs for usable wall space, which I always make a point of ascertaining at the initial site survey before the quote is produced.

You cannot produce a considered quotation addressing all the customers needs by fitting what you always think is best. You can advise what is best, but they are paying a lot of money to you so they get what they want if it is practical :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back