heating setup and installment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am looking for advice on how best to set up my heating and hot water system on a house we are renovating.
We have underfloor heating (wet) upstairs and downstairs, we have a Rayburn which I was hoping to run the heating and supply hot water.

We have no loft for a water/expansion tank.

My idea is: if anybody could tell me if it is possible, Rayburn heat the water, output tee off one to central heating manifolds, one to hot water cylinder floor mounted next to the rayburn, with cylinder feeding taps and shower, also fitted with emersion heater.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you saying the shower is on the same hose level as the rayburn?

if so you will need a bit more than you think, and i know, becuse you have no head height to operate the shower.

enter a pump.

you cannot put a rayburn on a sealed system, you need a feed and expansion tank,because its solid fuel, its classed as uncontrolable

I don't think a Rayburn has enough output to heat many radiators. A big, well-insulated cylinder will be an advantage as there may be times when you do not want to run the stove 24 hours a day.

It will also keep the kitchen warm, which is useful in the winter, but not in the summer.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, should have made myself a bit clearer, the shower is on the floor above the Rayburn, and it runs on oil, the reason we were hoping to use the Rayburn for cooking and heating is the kitchen is sited in the middle of the house with no outside walls except a single chimney with a liner compatable for the Rayburn.

what model of rayburn do you have, this is important because there are many different models and not all can do central heating

Depending on which Rayburn there is no problem using this in conjunction with central heating and hot water. Some can be sealed systems so you wont need the header, could go with an unvented also which will avoid the need for a cws.
As for output, some of the larger versions are around 150000 btus with 42mm circs, who said they arent big enough for heating.

The type of rayburn is a Nouvelle, from what I have read about them they should run both, but I have never had anything to do with these before, I have phoned several companies around the area to do the job, but no one wants to know that is why I have to do it myself.

To succesfully setup and commission a rayburn you need a flue gas analyser this is to ensure the correct ratios are achieved.Not really a DIY job unfortunately.
The nouvelle is an nice model, i only do gas so not sure about the oil version.
Ring Aga/Rayburn they will give you a list of installers that might be in your area and willing to carry out the work.

Have a pic.

Rayburn_1980s.jpg
Rayburn_1985.jpg

Could you please tell me, possiably Icgs, if I get some one to commision the Rayburn is the correct way of plumbing from there: pipe with a pressure vessel then tee one to the manifolds for the heating, of which each are fitted with pumps, the other from the tee to the hot water cylinder on the floor by the rayburn, would I pump the water into the cylinder or pump after the cylinder to the shower and taps?

Thanks.

Yekal Wrote

pipe with a pressure vessel then tee one to the manifolds for the heating, of which each are fitted with pumps, the other from the tee to the hot water cylinder on the floor by the rayburn, would I pump the water into the cylinder or pump after the cylinder to the shower and taps?

Fair play to anyone who can decypher the above.
Does anyone know if the oil fired CH/HW/Cooking Rayburn is fitted with twin burners like the Stanleys ??.

Yekal , Do you know if you appliance is fitted with two burners or just one ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back