Heating setup for hotel / multiple showers

Rinnai's are awesome bits of kit.

My FIL has 30 odd of them in one of his buildings and they are bullet proof.

Most large hotels will run a system similar to this rather than huge storage with massive standing losses.

Look at the distribution pipe work around the building too. that needs to be sized correctly as well as the plant equipment.

Sponsored Links
That's not how you calculate loading Tony,

And you wouldn't run it straight from the mains.

3 star hotel would be around 35 litres per person per hour (peak) with a 70 - 80% diversity.

Say 50 people x 35 = 1750 litres @ 70% = 1225 litres

:oops:

That's how I would calculate the stored water volume!

But suppose it was not a 3 star hotel?

Just a one star for example?

Resurrecting an old thread - The situation with the 2000l cylinder (not 4000l as I originally estimated) is that is has a leaking coil. Pressure doesnt go above 0.5 Bar.

Some quotes have come in. One is for a couple of new boilers and a couple of 800l megaflow cylinders the other for a gas fired water heaters Specifically 2x A O Smith BFC. Both for bypassing the asbestos water tank in the loft and going off the mains. Quotes are both similar.

Is there a burning reason to go with one or the other?

n.b one of the companies had tried to get some quote on Rianni however the suppliers are not getting back to them with prices.

For a job of that nature I'd strongly recommend you employ the services of a M&E consultant. This will give everyone that's tendering for the job the same Specification & some recourse if it goes t.ts up!!

Sponsored Links
The problem is there is a fault, and the concern is the hot water could fail completely so the time isn't there to get a consultant in. The plumbing firms who both do commercial installs, and spent a week specing it up say megaflow and gas fired water cylinders are as good as each other. I was hoping someone could give a particular advantage of one system over the other..

Any installer should be able to price up the Rinnai in a matter of hours. I have a price list ffs :LOL:

The clever /hard part is sizing the pipework IMHO. Which is the same regardless.

This is in a hotel Dan, it's a consultants' design... :LOL:

image.jpg

Last edited:
what type of numbers would it be to do it properly? with 6k pa gas bill and the turnover of the business it probably will be done but a guesstimate would be good. thanks for replys

Dan works your area, why don't you message him into quote?

Just seemed obvious to me

what type of numbers would it be to do it properly? with 6k pa gas bill and the turnover of the business it probably will be done but a guesstimate would be good. thanks for replys

Dan works your area, why don't you message him into quote?

Just seemed obvious to me

This business is in Peterborough (Cambridgeshire) not London If anyone is on here who is interested in quoting PM me! No decisions have been made yet.

Dan might consider peterbourgh a bit northerly and it could result in a nose bleed. But anything is possible.
Would think LeeC would cover that area aswell
It is pretty close to me but somewhat beyond my comfort zone.

It would depend on useage/rooms etc.

If the gas supply can handle it, then instant over stored any day of the week
Then I'd personally look at semi instant over stored Wether that be direct or via a plate heat and finally stored.

Commercial megaflows aren't that good imo, just stripped a couple down a few days last week.

Yes we cover Pete-bog-horror but can't quote til the 4/8 unless you can send a spec based around current solution, gas pipework size, number of rooms, what's in them ie bath/shower etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back