Heating stops when Hot water comes on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have my heating on manual setting and hot water on schedule (at work all day so not needed all day) but the issue im facing is, the heating is working lovely and when the hot water starts on its schedule the heating seems to stop until the Hot water finishes heating.
I have an Ideal Logic heat 7 boiler (4yrs old. Serviced yearly) with a Hive thermostat, and a new central heating pump and 3 port valve (both 7 months old)
It has not really bothered me as we work around the issue. But with winter coming i would like to try getting the problem (if any?) Sorted before winter

If anyone can she some light on this your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Probably wired up as hot water priority, you need a heating guy to check and either rewire or live with it.

I think you have a hot-water cylinder. What colour and dimensions?

Subject to the above, a modern cylinder with a modern boiler usually heats from cold in about half an hour. This is easily dealt with, by setting the HW timer to come on half an hour before the heating. Or (subject to the above) if you set it to reheat during and after your usual bath/shower time, it will be hot and ready, so will not draw much heat next time.

With proper controls, once the cylinder is hot, it will stop drawing heat from the boiler so will not impact the heating. As picasso says, a modern boiler usually has enough power to heat the house and the boiler at the same time, provided it is plumbed and wired suitably.

"subject to the above" will also tell us how well-insulated the cylinder is, which tells us how long it should stay hot (might be two days or more) and the cost (might be negligible) of having hot water ready for immediate use.

Gas to heat HW costs next to nothing.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.
@JohnD yes I have a green Hot water cylinder, its has a jacket (removed jacket to take picture) l add picture In post.
It probably does take about 30 minutes to heat like you said and then the Heating will start up again. We are at work all day so i have it set up (early morn, noon couple hours & few hours from 4pm for baths etc..) so it should not go fully cold.

As suggested I will get someone to take a look and make sure its all wired as it should be and maybe get them to suggest whats best if its already wired up correct.
20201013_185319.jpg

Maybe the person who thought a pre insulated (green foam) cylinder needed a jacket also wired the system.

Maybe the person who thought a pre insulated (green foam) cylinder needed a jacket also wired the system.

Im no heating expert, so would not know if it needed a jacket or not? From your response i guess not.

I had the boiler installed by Homeserve (probably/defo mugged me off trying to get a lil bit extra with the jacket)

But its ok, i have someone coming to look atvit this week.

A jacket won't do any harm and will reduce heat loss still further.

I have one because I'd recently fitted it to my old cylinder when the new one went in, so I re-used it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back