Heating system dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We own a big old house with very few radiators. There are about 20 powered by a 70kw oil boiler but we need to install around 40 more radiators. (There are 59 rooms).

We'd hoped to install a biomass boiler & make the oil boiler defunct but as a start up business we're unlikely to get the financing we'd need. Although the government RHI payments would fund all of the biomass fuel, we'd have about £5k a year left over (payable for 20 years but finance repayments would be at least 4 times that). Then we have the cost of radiators (£2.5k) + fitting.

We need some heating in some of the rooms to be able to operate as a business and we have about £15-20k of cash which we had hoped to put towards PV panels, radiators, etc. (PV panels will generate income of around £1.5k per annum).

So our options, I think, if biomass isn't an option initially, are:

Install a second oil boiler (probably 100kw) which would cost around £3k and set this up to power the new radiators. I think oil will cost us around £5k per annum though I hope that after a year we may be in a better position to secure finance. (So we'd be spending £8k on this option).

Or we look at high efficiency electric panel heaters in the rooms we need them in initially (15 rooms) and power these via the PV panels/mains electricity. These seem to cost around £200 each so would cost £3k in total + electricity though I believe we may receive export tariff even if we use the electricity we thought we'd export (5Kw of 10Kw system) as apparently our electricity provider doesn't measure export & we would receive a further 4.77pence on 50% of the total annual generation, or around £247 per year. So possibly there are no energy costs associated with this (it's late at night, I may have got this wrong). This option wouldn't involve having the radiators in place that we'd need for the biomass, but would cost less potentially in year one.

Are there any other options and does the above make sense as an analysis? Any (polite) comments gratefully received.

Em

Sponsored Links
Telling us what you are going to do with all these rooms might better help us to help you.

My initial reaction is that you seem to have little cash and want to choose the most expensive option.

An electric fan heater at Argos is £9.99 and with one in each room that will come to £590.

That would leave you will a bit of cash left for all the things you have forgotten!

Tony

Some of the rooms are very large, 50m2 (only a couple but they will need efficient heating!). They'll be used as training rooms, others mostly bedrooms, staff & guest. Only about 15 rooms will need heating for the first year as we'll still be renovating the rest of the building. But some of the rooms (that won't be used) need some heat to help dry out damp so again something powerful would be useful. I did a BTU calculation which suggested the rooms will need 2500W heaters (2 in some rooms).

Sponsored Links
No, not a brothel, I'm afraid, residential training centre!

400w is unlikely to be very adequate except in a toilet.

Most bedrooms need 1-2 kW.

BTUs are a unit from the distant past.

We work in kW now! Since 1985 in fact.

Tony

That's why I was looking at 2.5 - 5Kw per room Tony & you do require BTUs to look at radiator sizes needed, which is why I mentioned them as I have the required BTU for each room already.

BTUs are an old Imperial unit which has not been formally used since 1985.

All calculations are done in kW now!

Tony

BTUs are an old Imperial unit which has not been formally used since 1985.

All calculations are done in kW now!

Tony
Tony, you know very well that most places in the UK still advertise radiators in BTU's first and then Watts hidden in the sub-text. Stop being so ruddy awkward.

1 kw = 3,142 Bthu's. Someold farts are able to think in both terms.
( I still convert £p to Lsd in some instances. 13/6d for aMars Bar!!!!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back