Biomass and Oil Boiler - Under Floor Heating and Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a biomass boiler outside but also have an oil boiler in side for when we don't want to light the biomass boiler. I also wan to use radiators as well as under floor heating but be ale to turn the radiator circuit off when not required. I realise this needs a plumber to install but want as much informataion a possible whilst planning.

Any diagrams, views etc. on how both these options will work

Sponsored Links
What type of biomass boiler are you thinking off?
Log batch gasification or fan assisted only? Big price difference there!

What you want is the oil boiler operating as normal under its controls and the solid fuel interlocking (switching off) the oil boiler when it gets to operating temperature.

Gasification. Yes there is a big price difference but also a lot of efficiency difference. However it will be convenient to also have an oil boiler for when the biomass cannot be lit.

Yes there is a big price difference but also a lot of efficiency difference.

With the gasification boiler you need a large buffer store to maximise the efficiency which then means storing energy in a huge buffer for later use.
This storage facility adds mega bucks to the cost of the install.

The store then can lose a lot of its energy before you make use of it, thus losing a certain percentage of the extra efficiency gained in the gasification burning process.

Sponsored Links
OK - Not definitely decided on type of boiler, but it was the issue of also using an oil boiler that I am interested in. Both types need an accumulation tank anyway dont they.

Both types need an accumulation tank anyway dont they.

installed a 40kw fan assisted one recently without any buffer and its been working fine. Spending an extra £2k and using up space was a non starter.
Its been burning seasoned white wood off cuts from a building site since last november.

Yes it does shut down the fan/air supply occassionally going into an inefficient slumber and generating CO depending on the heat load/fuel load ratio.
Holding off the fuel supply when its up to temperature keeps it to a minimum though.
However its more responsive on start up and less of a delay until oil boiler shut down.

OK - what make is it. Do you also have an oil boiler - how is all this configured?

Its the WBI 40......(though this is the slightly newer model)
http://alturl.com/trjod

I have an oil boiler yes, but no biomass boiler. Fitted this for someone else.
Both boilers are in a garage. Now a boiler room I guess.
Linked with a plate heat exchanger through a valve station to put it simply. Its all automated bar the fan which needs interlocking via a separate switch placed some where convenient inside the home.
So its basically load up, fire in the hole and flip a switch. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back