External heat exchanger question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am an Electrician and I have been asked to wire up the electrics for a friend's Biomass boiler that is located in an outbuilding. I am deeply concerned about the planned heat exchanger in the home and I have a question.

The plan is to install a small heat exchanger (shoe box size) inside the house and pump 90C water from the biomass through it. The output would then be pumped around the radiators. To get up to temperature this heat exchanger will have to put more thermal energy into the system than the radiators can release and given the low input temperature and small size of the heat exchanger it seems impossible to me.

Like I said, I am a sparky, but I would like the thoughts of a heating engineer as this doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a HE. But I know that plate heat exchangers are incredibly efficient at transferring heat from one liquid to another. This is the plate HX from a combi boiler. It's tiny!

1701620245685.png

Correctly sized its fine all very normal
We regularly fit them on large old systems typically with large steel pipework and cast rads.
Separates old mucky system from shiny new boiler.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise these water to water heat exchangers were so efficient. Well I will wire the pump in about a week and we will see how it runs. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back