Heat exchanger fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im sure someone can easily answer this. I have an old heat exchanger i want to use in a project for my truck. The heat exchanger has three, what looks like compression fittments and one screw fitment. what adapters do i need to connect hoses to all four outlets?

for those that are interested - I camp alot and would like a hot shower now and again so im going to fit a heat exchanger into the radiator return hose from the engine thus circulating the hot water through the exchanger. then using a 12volt pump, pump a second cold water supply through the heat exchanger. the idea being the heat from the engin coolant heating out the cold water pumped through the heat exchanger.

065088-800x600-1_zpsaef31c7f.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I'd use flexible hose and jubilee clips. That heat exchanger has 3 x push fit and clip connectors.

What will happen when you don't want to heat the water, will the HE still be connected? Will it be able to cope if the cold supply side is dry, or there is nowhere for the heated water to go? You may need a thermostat or tee with valve so that you can disable it when not needed. Is it and the pipes you use up to the pressure in a car radiator?

Sponsored Links
What will happen when you don't want to heat the water, will the HE still be connected? Will it be able to cope if the cold supply side is dry, or there is nowhere for the heated water to go? You may need a thermostat or tee with valve so that you can disable it when not needed. Is it and the pipes you use up to the pressure in a car radiator?

good points. when shower is not in use then the hotwater from the engine will just circulate as normal through the HE. Not knowing much about HE would this damage it, if so ill build in a divert valve (prob do it anyway now). The HE and piping will hold up to the pressure.

I camp alot and would like a hot shower now and again so im going to fit a heat exchanger into the radiator return hose from the engine
As soon as the water through the engine is cool enough, the thermostat will shut and you'll have no hot water circulating through the radiator. I would consider instead plumbing into the circuit that goes into the car for the heater matrix.

I would also seriously consider the practicalities of such a project. You would need to sit a long time to get the water heated up enough for it to be usable, and I would imagine the cool-down time to be very short. Do you know anyone who's done this successfully?

You could look into a boat calorifier, but they are quite expensive and no idea if they will work off a car engine.

It will never work. You'd need to preheat a buffer for it to generate any sort of hot water.

it works fine thanks, the only disadvantage is the engine needs to be running to get the water up to a usable temp. not a power shower granted but usable one when camping for a few days. thanks for the help where provided.

If it works fine, why post on here on how to connect it up?

What is the flow rate at 35 degree rise?

How big is the truck?

Anyway. you big Jessie. What's wrong with cold showers? Isn't that the point of camping? Along with making so the missus doesn't come along as well and spoil an otherwise nice weekend? :LOL:

Christ. You don't want to make it too comfortable?

You're welcome by the way.

I camp alot and would like a hot shower now and again so im going to fit a heat exchanger into the radiator return hose from the engine
As soon as the water through the engine is cool enough, the thermostat will shut and you'll have no hot water circulating through the radiator. I would consider instead plumbing into the circuit that goes into the car for the heater matrix.

I would also seriously consider the practicalities of such a project. You would need to sit a long time to get the water heated up enough for it to be usable, and I would imagine the cool-down time to be very short. Do you know anyone who's done this successfully?

sorry you are right it dose get connected to the heater matrix supply, my mistake. run the engine for 5 minutes and you can get a shower good enough to wash the mud off to give a decent journey home.

for those that are interested - I camp alot and would like a hot shower now and again so im going to fit a heat exchanger into the radiator return hose from the engine thus circulating the hot water through the exchanger. then using a 12volt pump, pump a second cold water supply through the heat exchanger. the idea being the heat from the engin coolant heating out the cold water pumped through the heat exchanger.

Go to a scrappy and get a combi boiler with all the fittings.

Plate heat exchangers have narrow waterways; it will restrict the circulation through the engine, unless you have incorporated some details to deal with that; you'd need two pumps. They're also easily blocked by sediment. The engine efficiency and bearing life are also reduced by running the engine whilst cold; inserting a large heat dump could prolong the time the engine is running below the optimum temperature. I anticipate this will not be as easy as you may think. I also think you'd need a buffer vessel.

You're also heating your shower with fuel on which you have (or should have) paid road excise duty; wouldn't a propane heater be cheaper.

PS Similarly, if I turn on the heater in my (diesel) caron starting up, it keeps the engine cold for longer; the fuel consumption is dreadful until it has reached 90 degC.

Plate heat exchangers on CHP engines were usually good for a premature failure.

Anyway. you big Jessie. What's wrong with cold showers? Isn't that the point of camping? Along with making so the missus doesn't come along as well and spoil an otherwise nice weekend?

Cold showers? You had cold showers? Cushty.

You should wash and shave with a cup of cold water in a mess tin, making sure you scrub your arm-pits and groin. Then you cook your breakfast in the mess tin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back