Heating System Drainage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant TURBOmax VUW 242/1E,or 282/1 E boiler system installed and I wish to drain the radiators to replace a rad and valves in the upstairs bathroom. Having studied the instruction manual I am a little unsure of the best procedure. I have no drains on any of the radiators and cant find any on the boiler. This is how the pipe work is assembled from left to right under boiler:- (pipe 1) central heating service valve, (pipe 2) unspecified "mains in?", (pipe 3) gas service valve, (pipe 4) cold water valve, (pipe 5) return central heating service valve, (pipe 6) Pressure relief valve. Any advice would be great and would also like advice on refilling the system. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
if that was me i would just turn off the return and feed under boiler.
that will the cause a vacuum.
shut both rad valves on the bathroom rad.
remove rad by slackening the joint on the rad and draining rad into a tray.
once rad removed hold tray under one rad valve and open slightly this will let little amount of water out - because of vacuum
once valve open and water stopped remove valve and change.
fit new one shut valve then do other side .
but remember to do one at a time or you will loose vacuum in pipe.

Sponsored Links
Worked a treat thanks. Altered pipework and fitted new valves one at at time then fitted towel rad! Bled the system and hey presto! Thanks again :D :D :D

Already done that thanks. It dropped pressure as you predicted but now running at 1.5 bar again. I will bleed rad up again in a couple of days and recheck pressure when ive used heating :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back