Heating system not working since partial drain to add inhibitor (and refilled)

MTK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pumped, gas heating system that was installed c1989 in a domestic, two-storey home.
The boiler is a Potterton Netaheat Electronic.
The pump is a Grundfos Selectric, marked "Type UPS 15-50 130". P/No.59525600.
There is a cistern ('expansion tank') for the heating system in the attic.
In addition to the radiators, there is also a mains-pressure, hot-water tank.

The system was running fine.
Then, from a downstairs radiator, I partially drained (I think maybe ~10li) from the system to add some inhibitor via the cistern such that it would get it right into the main system.
Upon completion, I refilled the cistern (and checked that visually) and then switched on the central heating again.

There is now no heating at all. I think the boiler must have fired-up very briefly and then perhaps shut-down as too hot. Then when I turned the room thermostat down fully the pump kept going (perhaps the boiler was calling for it?) but the pump didn't sound normal. I wondered if there was air in it.

The downstairs radiators are all still full of water. When I tried to bleed the upstairs radiators and the main bleed near the pump (on the feed into the hot water cylinder) I could get some air but then nothing more. I went around this bleeding cycle many times but never got water from any of them. I removed the central screw from the pump and got about 2ml of water but nothing more.

I've left the heating system off now because I'm not sure whether I can run the pump in air (if it is indeed in air).

I have had a quick look at the FAQs but cannot really find an answer. Sorry if I have missed something obvious.

I would be most grateful for any advice, please.

Sponsored Links
Check that there’s water in the expansion tank (cistern), If you’re getting some air, but no water it’s either not refilling or you may have a blockage in the cold feed.

If you are not getting water from the air bleed valves on some upstairs radiators ,and the pump ,then you either have a severe air lock or the feed from the loft tank is blocked. I assume the tank has plenty of water in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back