Heating thermostat / controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a three storey town house with the boiler on the top floor. The thermostat is in the hallway of ground floor, we have one of these honneywell thermostats:

Honeywell T6360B
t6360b.jpg

Our boiler is a Potterton Powermax HE:

powermaxHE.png

The boiler has a built-in 7 day programmer, then it has 4 modes of operation:
1. off
2. on
3. timed (runs 7 day program)
4. once (from first on to last off)

However, as it's on the top floor of the house it's not ideal for easy access, sometimes we like to run the program for a few days (if it's a cold week) and other days we are out and about and only want to run the heating for an hour here or there.

Is it possible to replace the thermostat we have with a programmable thermostat? If we do that, do we just keep the boiler on the "on" setting?

We were looking at something a bit sleek looking due to the position of the thermostat, and are quite interested in this:

http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/heatmiser-neostat-12v-programmable-thermostat-glacier-white/

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes you would normally just leave the old boiler timer with the heating permanently ON so the new thermostat does all of the work.

The Neostat woiuld be fine but you will need to check that the existing thermostat wiring includes mains Live and Neutral in order to power the new one. A photo of the rear of the honeywell with it's wiring would shed some light.

Some systems provide only two wires (Live and Switched Live or a low voltage variant of this) in which case you might have to go for a battery powered thermostat.

Then you shouldn't have any problems with that as everything is there (including an Earth wire which you can just safely cover up as I don't think it's required).

Just wire it up using the diagram "neostat to boiler SL" in the installation instructions or ask again if you are unsure.

Edit: The yellow wire in your honeywell diagram is the Switched Live and goes to A2 on the neostat. A short wire link will also be needed to jump across from the Live to A1 terminals.

Sponsored Links
Then you shouldn't have any problems with that as everything is there (including an Earth wire which you can just safely cover up as I don't think it's required).

Just wire it up using the diagram "neostat to boiler SL" in the installation instructions or ask agin if you are unsure.

Final question.... Will I need the 12v or 230v version? How can I check?

Ignore, I just noticed on the back cover of my honeywell controller that it states input voltage 220 ~ 240v.

Thanks.

Just got the NeoStat and checking up on the wiring, so just to be sure before I do it, I have to:

NeoStat:
L = honeywell (1)
N = honeywell (2)
A2 = honeywell (3)
Link L to A1

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back