Heating - two or three zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question for the experienced masses.

We live in a a three story town house.

Each floor has a Honeywell room thermostat and all but one radiator has trv fitted (ground floow by thermostat - hallway).

Hot water is via stored cylinder

There is a honeywell two zone 7 day programmer.

One zone ground floor
One zone two upper floors

The thermostats on the two upper floors work on an "either" basis, so as long as one of them calls for heat both floors get it....

The heating cupboard has four zone valves, so one for hot water and one for each floor.

Having looked at the wiring, I can see that the two upper floors are wired
In parallel with two motorised valves.

If I was to split this wiring so that each floor operates only when the thermostat on that floor wants heat, would I cause problems?

I am more than capable to change the wiring, but curious as to any problems I may be causing.

Can someone share their thoughts please.

There is a Honeywell automatic bypass valve DU 145 fitted.

Never been sure that it's set to the right value though, tried the data sheets but get a little lost on the graphs and flow rates etc

thanks for your help

Rags

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan,

Its a Potterton Promax 24/2 HE

pump is a CP53, set to run on position 3.

currently bypass is set to be just under 1.

all the rads get up to temp fast (expect the last one in the loop) which takes 20 mins or so... it is quite a way from the rest of the loop though..

boiler is quiet.....

House is roughly divided such that ..

Ground has 5 Rads
Middle had 6 Rads
Top has 5 Rads

its only because I now work at home on the top floor.. that I dont want to heat up a floor no one is in..

(every penny counts...lol)

Rags

Suggest you look at Honeywell CM901 or Cm907's for better control.

Adjust the by=pass to 2 or 3 (you might need to loosen the centre screw a little first).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back