Heating Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All:

I am trying to figure out my best option to take advantage of heat that would otherwise be trapped and wasted.

I have the chimney for a gas stove running up from the living room and through a second floor bedroom. By law, the second floor part of the pipe must be enclosed by a gyprock box (it will be in a corner). The box will be about 14” sq and will run from floor to ceiling. The pipe itself will get quite warm...almost hot.... I had thought of putting a vent from this corner box into the bedroom to take advantage of the heat, but I really don’t need/want any heat in the bedroom. The den, which shares a wall with the bedroom really needs more heat. I think that I will put a vent from the den, through the bedroom wall and into the “box”.

Here is where I need some help:

a) If I do this, should the vent supplying the heat to the den be close to the floor or the ceiling (aprox. 10 ft ceiling – no ceiling fan)?

b) Given that the “box” is sealed, does there need to be a second vent in it to allow an air flow that will draw the heat out of it and into the den? If so should that vent be in the bedroom or also in the den? And where? High or low?

c) I have been thinking that a vent that has a flush mount register booster might be an advantage.
http://www.espenergy.com/booster_fans.htm Thoughts?

Many Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

-Phil

Sponsored Links
This is a UK forum and as such it may be my best advice to you to get a professional from your own area as rules and regulations will probably be different in Quebec to UK.

Thanks for your response Mick. I am actually not so much concerned about the regulations...that much I know we are safe on. The box just needs to have a 2" clearance on all sides. I was really looking for some thinking about issues of air circulation and how I might make the most of this opportunity.. Any advice would be appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back