Heating when hot water is called for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

having had the 3 port valve replaced by a plumber, I'm still having this issue.
I also replaced the PCB on my Potterton Profile 80 as I was having starting issues - now resolved.

Since the plumber fitted it, the pump has been making a slight knocking/vibrating noise which does alter if the pump speed is increased. Noticed yesterday that the heating was coming on (mainly upstairs) when the thermostat was turned right down, so I turned heating off on the controller, but still occurred this morning.

a) With the heating being off at the controller, does the room stat have any impact?
b) Any ideas for fault finding?!

Thanks in advance,
Graham

Sponsored Links
Did he replace all the valve or just the head?

Normally most would call him back!

It needs to be properly diagnosed which is what your plumber is expected to do ( and charge for ).

But it sounds to me as if YOU asked him to change it and he did exactly what you had asked but now it still has not cured the problem.

My view is that you should either call him back ( depending on what he as asked to do ) or engage someone else and pay them to diagnose the fault. ( I charge £84 for that in my local area ).

Tony

Thanks for your response. After he told me I also needed a new gas valve, it turned out I actually needed a new PCB so I'm reluctant to get him back.

Can anyone point me in a direction to test, or identify what else could cause this issue? I'm guessing an incorrectly wired 3-port valve, but anything else I can test for before shedding out the pound notes?

Thanks
Graham

Sponsored Links
Diagnosing boiler and heating faults requires a degree of knowledge and experience which is why an engineer will charge for diagnosing a problem.

You seem to imagine its a simple task.

OK its not rocket science but does need an understanding of the electrical and mechanical functions.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back