Motorised valve problem - Hot water only when CH satisfied

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone assist please.
I have a normal 2- 2 port system - Potterton Flamingo and all 22mm pipework in airing cupboard - so assume fully pumped.
Just recently have noted that my hot water does not heat up, unless the heating system has reached temperature.

For instance, in the morning, I have no hot water first thing in the morning, as the house is still warming up.
In the evening, I've got bundles of hot water, because the house is nice and warm.

I probably could get by , by turning the room stat down, but looking for a permanent fix if poss. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a normal 2- 2 port system
Presume you mean two 2-port zone valves; one in the HW circuit. the other in the CH circuit.

Assuming this is correct
my hot water does not heat up, unless the heating system has reached temperature.
The valve in the HW circuit must be open or the HW would never heat up. Though it might be stuck part open. You need to check that the valve motor is opening the valve and switching the boiler on

Turn the CH right off and turn the HW stat down. Then turn the HW stat right up and listen to the HW valve. You should hear the motor open the valve and then the boiler should light.

If nothing happens, it could be a faulty cylinder stat. A temporary bypass wire will confirm this.

If you hear the valve but boiler does not light you need a new actuator though, with some valves, you may have to replace the complete valve.

If the stat is OK and you cannot hear the motor, then you need a new motor.

I think that I've fixed it.
Undid cover on motorised valve and found motor was loose, and not properly engaged into valve.
Have tightened up screws and seems to work ok.
Thanks for your help anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back