Heatline Vizo 24 - High pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back Story. I inherited this boiler when I moved into my house and over the past few years I've learnt and managed to keep it running by replacing the Heat Exchanger and Thermistor myself (thanks to this forum and youtube).

A few months back I bled one of our radiators and ever since then when the heating is running the pressure would go high, past 3 bars. I've managed to keep it ticking along during the cold winter months by reducing the heating temperature as well as bleeding excess water from the system when the pressure is too high (heating engineers are rarely available during the winter months plus I wanted to avoid any call out charges).

Yesterday the boiler developed a leak and wouldn't hold pressure so I finally gave in and contacted a plumber/heating engineer. He mentioned the leak was from the diverter valve and to replace that as well as the expansion vessel and pressure relief valve would cost £800+ or fit a new boiler for £1800.

We're aiming to sell and move house in the next 12 months so didn't really want to spend out on a new boiler and £800 seemed a lot so after a quick search I ordered a diverter valve service kit from ebay (£9.50), which I fitted today and can happily say that has stopped the leak (plus I've learnt about diverter valves). This has actually slightly improved the heating in that I can run the boiler at a higher temperature but I still can not turn it back to (e) without the pressure again going too high. I'm thinking it might be the expansion vessel.

This is finally my question. Does it sound like the expansion vessel may be faulty? I've been reading up on them and apparently it might just need recharging.

Is the expansion vessel easy to remove, I noticed it's at the back but also it appears there's a side panel. Any help appreciated.

Can this job be performed without interfering with the gas chamber as I'm not gas safe qualified and would NEVER interfere with the gas chamber but when it comes to the water side then the worst that can happen is I flood my house.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
just read and follow all the steps on here, most important step is to leave a drain point open when re-charging the vessel, if you dont , there is no point in doing it at all, the so called engineer is taking the pee and guessing what is wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back