Heatrae Sadia Megaflo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

This is my first post, so apologies if my etiquette is poor!

We recently moved to a new home and we have a Heatrae Sadia Megaflo unvented direct feed hot water cylinder and a gas boiler.

We recently received a bill for the gas and electric which was nearly £1000! The split was 75% elec 25% gas.

Needless to say we are gutted and I would love some help to work out how on earth this is possible. We have narrowed it down to the cylinder as the root cause.

Could it be wired up wrong? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is direct and not indirect with a gas boiler?

Hi Dave

We don't have a water tank anywhere which is why I think it's direct. Is there a sure fire way for me to tell?

Martyn

Hi Dave

We don't have a water tank anywhere which is why I think it's direct. Is there a sure fire way for me to tell?

Martyn

:oops:
Do you switch on/off the immersion(s) usually near the cylinder. Or timer for HW to the boiler, for example where you switch the CH on/off?

Sponsored Links
We have an immersion switch near the cylinder which is housed in a cupboard on the 1st floor. In the same cupboard we have the electronic timer/programmer for both hot water and central heating (they can be programmed individually).

The gas boiler is on the ground floor in the utility room.

Martyn. What G4U and myself was trying to clear up is this. You say you have a "direct" HW feed?

Is the HW heated via boiler or immersion?

Sorry for the confusion, to be perfectly honest, I don't know. I don't have any manuals, is there any obvious way I can tell?

Thanks (btw, you may have guessed by now that I'm not overly technical)

Martyn

I don't know if this helps, but the immersion switch in the cupboard where the cylinder is housed is never switched on

So by default, yes, we use the programmer to switch the hot water on and off as we do with the heating.

Ok we can presume your HW is heated via boiler (indirect). How long have you been moved in and have you incurred any extra charges?

Doesn't seem to be a gas issue. Ring your provider with your current elec and gas meter readings.

We moved in June. Heating was off for the majority of the summer. It is the winter bill that has crucified us. We have had numerous conversations with the supplier, even giving readings on a daily basis and switching everything off to see if there are any leaks. They say everything is normal other than the fact we are using 6 times the national average.

Everything I have read about the megaflo suggests it should be really efficient. Yet everytime we turn it on, the meter spins like mad.

Any ideas?

Why are you turning the megaflo immersion on in the first place?

From what you have now said, your boiler should be heating the megaflo.

The immersion is only for the emergency time that your gas boiler may break down.

ANY immersion heater will cause the meter to spin like a top ;)

Hi Dave

I'm not switching the immersion on. That's the point. I only use the programmer.

That's why i asked if it might be wired up incorrectly so the immersion kicks in everytime I use the programmer?

Thanks
Martyn

One way of checking would be to isolate the electrics to the immersion heater.

This may be by a fused spur leading to the immersion or an MCB on the breaker board. If there is no local isolation then you could remove the wiring from the immersion heater (while its all isolated of course!!) and terminate them in a choc block and wrap in insulation tape as a temporary measure.

If the meter still spins like b*tch then you have another cause

The immersion won't be wired into the CH programmer. CH systems are only 3 amp, immersion needs 13 amp, so would blow CH fuse and probably the timer/programmer as well.

Check the switch in the airing cupborad that has a flex to the bottom of the megaflo, is turned off at the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back