Heatslave 15/19 struggles to fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice on the issue I'm having with my Heatslave.

The boiler is struggling to fire and will eventually go into lockout before igniting if I dont stop the start sequence.

When the start sequence begins I can hear the fan motor running and the spark, however there is no sound of fire up.

The only way I can get it to fire is to stop the start sequence by turning the thermostat control on the front down and then beginning the start sequence again by turning the thermostat up again. It then fires on the third time of doing this.

I've checked the solenoid, which is fine and cleaned the photocell.
It sounds to me like possibly not enough oil is getting through on the first couple of attempts at starting up.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
When was it last professionally serviced?

The photocell is irrelevant as that only comes into play after the flame ignites!

The Heatslave typically has an 8 second 'purge' time before the oil is electronically switched on.....once the flame is established, the photocell sees this and keeps the oil flowing.
Your fault could be due to dirty, sooty flue ways - when were they last cleaned?
Its also vital that the oil pressure is accurately set, as is the CO2 produced by the burner. Has this been done recently?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys.
Not sure when the pressure levels were adjusted or flue ways cleaned.
Sounds like a another service might be required then.

The Photo cell does have something to do with it it could be sooted up take it out and clean it with a soft cloth.Bob

The photocell was completely covered in soot. Cleaned it up but unfortunately this hasn't solved the fire up issue.

Sounds like the boiler is badly sooted up.

Either a fault or the service was not done properly.

Most oil boilers run fine for at least a year after a proper service!

IMG_3758.JPG
Found the service report from September, not sure if this helps.
IMG_3757.JPG

Those figures are correct enough, but we still don't know how clean things are in there.....a sooted up photocell does sound the alarm bells!
If your Heatslave has a balanced flue (burner is in a box) run it with the burner cover off to see if it makes any difference.
John :)

IMHO too much oil pressure and too much co2.with a .55nozze I'd have the oil at110psi and co2at
10.5% after cleaning out the boiler properly.I don't think boilers been cleaned properly,and they've took the air down to try to get it as efficient as they could problem is combustion is a very
fickle thing and I see this a lot.Bob

Just to clear things up agile on an oil boiler on start up the photo cell has to work to register
dark or the burner will not go into all the start up procedure which is why sometime a burner runs and runs without lighing or tries to light three times then locks out hope this helps my friend.Bob

Thanks Bob, are any of the settings you have mentioned easily tweaked or do they all require specific equipment/knowledge and therefore an engineer call out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back